Chapter 3: A Taste of Joy

The monotonous drone of a flat lining heart monitor rang continuously as the time of death was announced to the room. Doctor Goodwin felt something she hadn't felt in a very long time. Disturbed.

 She had been a doctor for the better part of seven years now. The amount of sick, vile, and disturbing things she saw on a daily basis might turn another's stomach ten times over. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for hospital staff to have to go to therapy just on the mental toll it has on some people seeing so many in their last moment. Watching people lose the fight to stay alive.

 In the movies, it looks like they just fall asleep. One minute, they're sick, and the sickness just slips them into a forever slumber. In real life, this wasn't always the case. Some people screamed in the end. Grasping on to life with a panic that could only come from someone about to die. More than once, Goodwin had seen someone have to spend their last moments on earth strapped down to the bed because they were violently panicking so bad.

 There was a time when these kinds of events would cause her great grief, but not anymore.

 This, however, was different. It wasn't the pen sticking out of the bleeding eye of the dead woman. That, Goodwin could stomach no problem. It was the way the woman looked. No disease or sickness in her mind could explain the unnatural way this woman's body contorted itself into something alien-like.

 She felt herself staring at the hideous corpse and her graying skin that wrapped around her bones with little muscle in between.

 "Doctor Goodwin." said a nurse.

 She snapped out of it. Stepping on something as she shuffled her feet. It was an old teddy bear with black button eyes.

 "Doctor Goodwin, you're needed in the West wing."

 "Yes, yes, thank you. I'll be right there." said Goodwin.

 The nurse walked off.

 Goodwin picked up the teddy bear and examined it. It was a creepy little thing, that's for sure. Looked like it was older than her grandpa. She was drawn to it for a reason she couldn't explain. A desire to bring it home with her sprouting in her mind like a foreign weed in a healthy garden.

 She decided against this desire. It would be unethical to steal the belonging of the diseased. She went to place it on the counter.

 No.