Part 10

Finally, they pulled back, their breaths mingling in the small space between them. Beth's eyes were bright, her cheeks flushed with emotion. Bucky looked at her, a softness in his eyes that she had never seen before.

"That was..." Bucky started, but words seemed to fail him.

"Incredible," Beth finished for him, her voice a whisper.

Oh, she wished they weren't about to walk into a party. She wanted nothing more than to invite him back to her room to continue deepening this connection.

Bucky leaned in to kiss her again, quickly but carefully placing her fingers on his lips. "I need you, us, to hold this thought." She took a deep breath. "We need to, we need to" She couldn't align her thoughts as he kissed her fingertips.

"We need to?" Bucky repeated in a teasing way.

Beth gulped "We need to go inside", she said, undoing her seatbelt and reaching for the car door.

Bucky took a breath and berated himself internally. He just said they go at her pace, but then he pushed, and now she was panicking.

Getting out of the car, he realised she hadn't rushed off inside but waited for him. She was chewing her lip again, and oh, didn't that drive him crazy.

"Let's go make some coffee," Beth nervously smiled.

Bucky softened, easing a little, knowing she wasn't running away and that he hadn't pushed too hard.

Taking her hand, they went into the building and up the stairs to the communal space. Suddenly all the lights went on, everyone he knew on the team, their partners, family and staff, jumped out shouting "Surprise!".

Out of instinct, Bucky manoeuvred Beth behind him, taking a tense stance before relaxing as he understood what was happening.

Bucky turned and looked at Beth. She had a worried smile and a flush that lingered from their kiss.

"Surprise", Beth added. "Happy Birthday, Bucky!"

Shocked, Bucky blinked, then smiled at her. "You did this?"

Beth nodded. "With the others."

Steve, Peggy, Tony, Nat and Sam approached them.

"Happy Birthday, Bucky!" Steve said, hugging him.

"What are you now? Hundred and ten?" Mocked Sam, and he hugged Bucky.

Nat, followed by Peggy, kissed Bucky's cheek, and Tony shook his hand.

Bucky looked around at the faces of his friends and colleagues, a mix of surprise and happiness evident in his expression. The room was filled with decorations, laughter, and warmth, a stark contrast to the life he had once known.

"Thank you, everyone. All this means a lot," Bucky said, his voice slightly choked with emotion.

As the party continued, there was music, dancing, and the clinking of glasses. Beth watched Bucky interact with everyone, a smile never leaving his face. She felt a sense of pride and joy at bringing happiness to someone who had been through so much.

Each glance was a silent conversation filled with promises and possibilities.

Tony, always the host, raised his glass for a toast. "To Bucky, who's not just a hero for what he's done, but for who he is. Happy Birthday."

The toast was met with cheers and applause. Bucky raised his glass, his eyes finding Beth's in the crowd. He mouthed a 'thank you' to her, his gaze conveying a deep gratitude that words couldn't express.