Chapter 17

JJ waited for three hours before the emergency room door opened.

It was the first time he had visited Methas after taking him to the hospital. The patient was in a unit that specializes in treating patients with cerebral thrombosis. He still seemed to be drowsy yet seemed conscious. JJ walked to the edge of the bed and studied the person in front of him with interest.

What kind of life does this person live?

And why does he have celebral  thrombosis? The disease is serious, but not everyone can easily get it. Often, there is a trigger: smoking, genetics, or an underlying health condition. Is the person aware of these risks? Has he seen a specialist? Many questions were swirling in his head, but he knew it was none of his business.

"I'm Plawan's friend. I was the one who took you to the hospital."

"Uh huh."

Answered the patient, barely conscious. JJ tried to speak slowly and clearly in the next sentence so that it is easier for the person he is talking to to understand.

"Here is your phone. Can you contact your family?"

JJ handed the phone the bar attendant had left to the paramedics to Methas. He just got it himself after Plawan had left. Apparently the ambulance driver forgot to give it to him, so they had to drive back and give it to him. But his phone didn't have an emergency number programmed. If he managed to open it, he couldn't contact anyone.

"Uh huh."

Methas muttered softly, closing his eyes. He reached out and grabbed the other person's left hand. He remembered this hand was working normally. He put the phone away on his hand and the patient slowly opened his eyes and entered the password slowly. After that he returned the phone back to him.

"I'll call your family."

"Uh huh."

The patient closed his eyes again. So JJ picks up the phone he got and went through the call log to find the most likely relative. He scrolled a bit, but he didn't find a number labeled Dad, Mom, or any other relative. He continued scrolling, selecting numbers that had a history of frequent calls. It could be a relative, friend, or boyfriend.

He then found the contact Min who turned out to be Methas's little sister.

After the other party answered, he summarized the entire incident from beginning to end. The person named Min promised to come to the hospital as soon as possible. In less than an hour, Methas' younger sister arrived. He touched his hand to change position and returned it to the other person. He then excused himself to go back to rest.

After that, he didn't care about Methas anymore.

In fact, he didn't even know how to contact Methas. The first time they met was about Plawan's affairs. The second time they met was a pure coincidence. On the one hand, he was curious about the progress of his recovery. But on the other hand, he couldn't get rid of the arrogant gaze that made him want to walk away.

[Yesterday, the chef shouted at me again. I feel like a black sheep. Everything I did was wrong. Is it just me, or do other people cut onions unevenly like me?]

JJ listens to Plawan's complaints about Chef Aob. Both he and his good  friend Kluea worked the afternoon shift, so they had free time in the morning to chat.

"Aren't you afraid your boss will hear you if you gossip about him like that?"

[I went out to eat dim sum. I'm bored of Thai food.] Plawan continued to grumble. [The employee's food is always stir-fried basil. It's as if they are trying to prove who could make it the best. I'm so bored of eating it.]

"So, are you complaining about the chef or assistant chefs?"

[I'll complain about everyone. You are my friend, so you should listen to me.]

"But you like stir-fried basil. You enjoy eating it every day, right?"

JJ said. He put his phone in his pocket, put on headphones, and brought the microphone to his mouth. While listening to his friend complain about everything, he also did his housework. He took out the trash, washed the dishes, and filled the refrigerator with water. Talking to Plawan doesn't require much brain power. He just wanted to complain, so JJ just listened.

[If you've ever tasted Chef Aob's stir-fried basil, no one else's stir-fried basil will ever taste good enough.]

"You're biased,” he laughed. "A moment ago, you were complaining because he kept calling you to scold you. So, do you like him or not? Make a decision."

[I like Chef Aob's stir-fried basil, not the chef. You talk too much, I'll slap you with my chopsticks.]

With a few blows, Plawan squirmed like a pig in hot water. Plawan is clearly interested in Chef Oab. He would complain about this and that, but he would always complain to him. However, it is difficult to know what kind of interest he has. If he had to guess, he would say it was more of admiration. Plawan is crazy about stir-fried basil, and meeting the god of stir fried basil is sure to make his legs weak.

[Hey, how's Khun Methas? Have you received any news?]

"No, you are his subordinate. Contact your boss and show him some love and care."

[I'm not his subordinate! We are just  business partners.]

After that, Plawan started reviewing dim sum dishes at the 24-hour dim sum restaurant. JJ just hummed and gaped, feeling sorry for his friend who seemed to be stuck in the dorm. He couldn't go back to his condo, and he couldn't go out late at night. But he was lucky enough to have a roommate he could talk to.

He hung up just as he was about to reach the hospital.

JJ was about to arrive for work at noon. He went to the physical therapy department as usual. He was working part time at the hospital today because he was usually on duty at the clinic. But he still took jobs at the hospital once or twice a week because the hospital had a wider variety of cases and more equipment. Working there also helped him develop his skills.

"JJ, can you help me with this case?"

A familiar department head walked over and placed the patient's medical record on his desk. He didn't say it as a request, but more like a gentle command. He was his subordinate, so he had to do whatever was assigned to him.

"What's wrong, Phi?"

"Stroke."

This is the most common disease he treats at the hospital. After being treated with blood thinners, some patients' bodies do not recover completely, and their limbs are still weak. He had to help them rehabilitate and return to normal.

"Is there anything special about this case?"

"Well," the other party paused. "The patient is not very cooperative. He may not be able to accept his current situation. He's been through several physical therapists, but none of them are working with him."

He nodded in understanding.

"Also, he is the main shareholder of the hospital, so everyone here is afraid of him and dare not say or do anything to him." The looks on other people's faces were full of embarrassment. "I thought you might be able to handle it better."

He agreed without much thought. This is not an ordinary job. If you've done your best and still get fired, you can look for another job. There is a shortage of physical therapists, and they are not hard to find. He took the medical record and walked towards the patient's room. It is customary here to discuss the treatment plan before taking the patient for physical therapy.

But the moment he opened the door, a loud clanging sound filled the air. Food from the tray was scattered on the floor.

Inside the room, a woman in her early forties stood sullenly in the corner of the room. She may be a patient nurse, not a hospital nurse. And judging from his attitude, he doesn't seem like a relative either. He looked at the fried pork scattered on the floor before looking at the patient, and when he did, he almost stopped breathing for a moment. 

Methas..