Chapter 18

JJ smiled at Methas, a perfunctory smile.

"Hello, Mr Methas," he paused. "I'm the new physiotherapist who will take over from the previous physiotherapist."

Methas stared at him closely, barely blinking. JJ subtly observed as many symptoms of the person in front of him as he could see. From the way the other party shrugged his shoulders, his right arm probably still couldn't function properly. As for his legs and lower body, he couldn't see them yet, but he would probably find out the details during the physiotherapy sessions.

"How did you get here?"

Those eyes were full of suspicion. Methas seemed to  have softened from his earlier anger. The woman who looked like a housewife took the opportunity to clean up the remains that had fallen on the floor. He immediately walked to the other side of the bed so that the woman in the room could easily clean it.

"I'm the new physiotherapist who will take over from the previous physiotherapist."

JJ repeated the same sentence from before. The person on the bed looked at him with a surprised expression, before turning away angrily and finally turning into an expression of self-pity. His shaking right arm seemed to want to rise to do something, perhaps to prove himself, but he couldn't. He then remained silent.

"Calm down, Mr Methas."

He walked up to the other person and spoke in a calm  tone as possible, but he made no attempt to be cheerful or entertaining. He did everything as per duty requirements.

"I didn't mean to meet you. I've been working part-time here for months. If you don't believe me, you can ask another physiotherapist. Meeting you today was just a coincidence."

The other person's anxiety seemed to have subsided somewhat, but he didn't say anything. Methas leaned back against the pillow, silent, as if he had given up on life.

"If you are not comfortable doing physiotherapy with me, you can ask for a change of therapist. I don't mind, " he paused "But if you don't mind, I can start my work, assessing and giving you physiotherapy. "

Methas remained silent, still not responding.

JJ paused to give the other person time to think about if before continuing to review the medical forms in detail. It was stated that Methas was a case transferred from another hospital because his condition had not improved after being injected with blood clot dissolving medication, so he had to come here for further treatment.

Methas underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. His condition had improved but had not yet fully recovered. From his experience, Methas might need intense physiotherapy for a long time, at least six months, but it could also last for about a year.

JJ wondered how he handles his business, life, and family problems. He wanted to know if Methas knew that he might have to be hospitalized for months. Who will take care of the things he leaves behind, especially his work? But looking around, there were no family members present. Maybe he doesn't have a good relationship with his family members.

"Do whatever you want to do."

The patient said softly. JJ nodded in understanding, realizing that it was natural that someone who was once almost perfect couldn't accept falling to this lowest point. Judging from his condition which had not improved much after so many days, no one dared to promise that everything would return 100%.

"Can you feel it?"

JJ pressed his finger to Methas' big toe to test the function of his nervous system and pain center. He applied a little pressure. If it were a normal person, they would definitely flinch.

"NO."

"How about here?"

He moved to the index finger.

"NO."

"This one?"

"NO."

"What about this?"

"I already said no!"

Methas' voice was almost a scream. JJ stopped for a moment, but Methas pretended not to notice or care. Methas tried to withdraw his legs to fight back, but it was of no use. He took a deep breath to control his emotions. JJ constantly reminded himself that the person in front of him was experiencing a major crisis in his life.

"I'll bring a wheelchair, Mr Methas. Wait a moment, and I'll take you to do physical therapy in the physical therapy room. It will be more comfortable than doing it in this room."

He told him in a normal manner, as if he had not noticed the other party's previous outburst. JJ turned to smile at Methas for a moment before excusing himself to get the wheelchair. At first, he went to the counter to ask for a wheelchair, but the nurse on duty called a stretcher and arranged everything for him without him having to do anything himself.

"Don't tell anyone about this."

Methas whispered as the wheelchair moved down the hall. At first, he listened without thinking, but when he heard everything, he realized that he was probably talking about himself. 

"My professional ethics require me to maintain patient confidentiality."

JJ answered, and everything went silent again. The only sound that could be heard in the corridor was the squeaking of rubber wheels hitting the hospital floor as they approached the physical therapy area.

"Be careful."

JJ and a random employee helped Methas, who still had no control of the right side of his body lie down on an elevated bed for physical therapy. JJ found a pillow on the other side to support his head.

"Which hand do you usually write with?"

"Left."

He nodded in acknowledgement. Luckily the symptoms were not dominant in him. At least he didn't have to start learning to write again from scratch. His signature still works as usual.

"I would like to ask you to gradually try to exert strength in your legs to match its  pulling force. You may not be able to do it well at first but don't worry it will get better gradually. Your strength will return slowly. That's normal Mr Methas. If you're determined to this physical therapy your conditions will definitely improve."

However he did not mean that he'll recover completely as before he was sick. He kept it to himself thinking that  the other party would understand it himself.

"Refrain from using too much strength."

JJ used one hand to hold Methas' ankle while his other hand grabbed the back of this leg and pulled it with force. Methas didn't display any  resistance at all  probably because he couldn't feel anything at all.

"Push harder and let the brain learn how to gradually function. Then your muscles will gradually function."

He spoke again and exerted  more strength. This time it's still the same. The legs in front of him were like those of a doll, lacking any strength to keep him standing upright.

"I told you I couldn't do it!"

This time, it was no longer anger, but complete disappointment. He was desperate. JJ looked at him with a calm expression. Methas cried as he threw himself onto the pillow, tears streaming down his face uncontrollably. Even though he had previously hated and argued with Methas, he couldn't deny that he felt sorry for the man in front of him.

Methas was like a man who had no more hope in his life.