New Hampshire

Holly Meredith woke up with first-day jitters. High school seemed daunting to the freshman teen. The building seemed big and imposing compared to her grade school. She would have to get the hang of changing classes and wearing a gym suit. Holly didn't know if she was excited or nervous. She finally decided she experienced a mixture of both emotions.

"Hurry up, Holly," her mother called up the stairs. "You don't want to arrive late on your first day."

Holly plunked down onto her pillow and yanked the quilt over her head. She wasn't ready to get up. Nevertheless she pushed the covers aside just as quickly. Wandering across the hall, she turned on the shower and, sliding out of her babydoll pajamas, stood beneath the hot spray.

Dressed in her new poodle skirt and white blouse, Holly pulled her hair into a high ponytail. She added a pink bow and fluffed her bangs. It felt exciting to wear new clothes, but she remained fluttery about high school.

"Breakfast," her mother called, appearing at the bottom step.

"Coming, Mother," Holly hollered back. Yesterday, she said, Mommy; today, she felt older, more sophisticated.

"Mother, huh?" Shirley Meredith snorted when Holly bounded downstairs. "Since when?"

"Since this morning, Mother Darling." Holly pecked her cheek as she rushed past. "And how shall we break our fast this morning?"

"Toast and jam, same as always." Shirl frowned at her daughter. High school, she muttered to herself.

"Groovy," Holly exclaimed. Her ponytail bounced on her shoulders as she marched into the kitchen.

Timmy looked up from his cereal bowl. A drop of milk dripped from his chin, and he grinned at his big sister. Holly cast her eyes above him as though he didn't exist. She was fond of the little ankle-biter, but he was a drag, too. Timmy wore a coonskin cap and watched Howdy Doody after school. Baby stuff, Holly thought.

Holly stood beside the counter and, spreading jam on her toast, ate her breakfast. Ignoring her orange juice glass, she poured herself a cup of coffee. Her mother nearly said something about it but hesitated. If her daughter thought she was grown up, she would indulge her a little.

Outside, a horn tooted. Holly dropped her toast plate in the sink and rushed through the door. She practically skipped along the driveway despite her mother's caution to slow down. Maureen Haskell leaned out of her brother's jalopy, waving at her like mad. Tony Haskell sat behind the wheel; his best friend, Caleb Markham, took up the shotgun position.

Her mother disapproved of Caleb. She called him a lazy, good-for-nothing beatnik. His uncombed sandy hair made him look like he had just rolled out of bed, and he wore a goatee. Maureen had a crush on him, and Holly took an interest in Tony.

Sliding into the backseat, Holly leaned toward Maureen. Maureen whispered into her ear, and they both giggled. Tony glanced back at them, grinning widely. Holly buried her head in her best friend's shoulder. She blushed madly. Tony was handsome with a cleft chin and wavy blonde hair.

The high school was only four blocks away. Tony left the girls at the front entrance and parked his jalopy in the student parking lot. Maureen grabbed Holly's hand and pulled her inside. They pushed through the crowded rotunda and stood before the bulletin board.

"Let's sign up for drama club," Maureen suggested, scanning the signs on the board. Grabbing a pencil, she quickly scrawled her name. Holly hesitated momentarily, then added hers.

The drama club met three days a week after school. Everyone who signed up was guaranteed a role in at least one of the three annual school plays. Holly dreamed of becoming an actress. She wanted to go to Hollywood. California offered more excitement than staying in New Hampshire. A little experience might go a long way toward a movie career.