Virginia

Odeena peered through the heavy foliage. The large canoe's billowing white sails looked like enormous clouds. Its appearance meant new settlers were arriving to take up more land. The town the white people called Middle Plantation spread further into their native territory each time the canoe arrived.

Her brother, Ashcek, warned her to avoid the pale strangers. He had already shot one dead with an arrow to the back. The newcomer had ventured far from the settlement and trespassed upon their land. Ashcek hated the colonists. His hot blood demanded war against them.

Odeena felt differently. Their pale faces and sparkling blue eyes entranced her. She longed to get close to them and learn more. Eagerly, she watched the canoe draw closer to land. Before long, the new people would walk down the gangplank. Odeena would study them one by one.

A group of four appeared on the deck and huddled together. The tall man wore buff-colored knickers with long white stockings and black buckled shoes. A slightly darker shade long coat covered an embroidered waistcoat with a lacy cravat. The younger man standing beside him wore a similar outfit.

A woman clung to the man's arm. Her white floral printed dress covered her entire body. The slender girl accompanying the group leaned against the canoe's railing and scanned the buildings facing the James River. She, too, wore a garment that enclosed her body from neck to feet.

Odeena shuttered when she imagined herself in a similar outfit. She knew she would die if she had to wear all those clothes. Odeena enjoyed the freedom of her fringed doe-skin dress that fell only to her mid-thighs. In the summer, she remained barefooted throughout the day; in winter, she wore moccasins or knee-length boots. Parted in the middle, her black hair hung past her muscled derriere.

"What are you doing here?" Ashcek hissed in her ear. Entranced by the newcomers, Odeena hadn't heard him approach.

"I saw the white clouded canoe and wanted to look," Odeena replied innocently.

"You were ordered not to come here," Ashcek remarked, taking her arm and drawing her away. "Stay away from the pale people."

Odeena started to protest, but Ashcek dragged her away roughly. She stumbled behind him, and he pushed her into their wigwam. Falling onto the ground, she glared up at her brother.

"It is my sacred duty to protect you, little sister," Ashcek stated, looming above her. "The Wendigo will take you away and eat your flesh if you do not obey."

"You don't scare me with your mythical stories, Ashcek," Odeena stated coolly. "I...I'm not a child any longer. I don't scare easily."

Odeena's heart pounded beneath her doe-skin bodice. The Wendigo was an evil spirit that ate human flesh. The elders threatened little children with its existence to make them behave. Odeena remembered her mother telling them about Wendigo when they were small. Before...before...

Ashcek and Odeena were orphans. Their mother and father were not dead. Somewhere to the west, they lived in isolation. Ostracized for stealing corn, the Tribe sent them far away over the distant mountains. Although their family was commanded to leave entirely, the children were left behind. Old Aokweyaash (grandmother) took pity on them and raised them as her own.

"Grandmother won't allow it, Ashcek," Odeena countered, her eyes growing solemn. "Aokweyaash loves me. She loves me better than you."

Ashcek stood tall above her. His bronze face shimmered with oil that pasted his shoulder-length black hair to his cheeks. He flexed his chest manfully, asserting his authority over her. Odeena's eyes widened with fear. Her brother did not like it when she challenged him.