Tennessee

Zadie Hudson lifted her fiddle and tilted her bow. Catching the tune, she began to play. Behind her, the music stopped. Unheeded, she continued until her brother, Wade, yanked her instrument from her hands.

"What do you think you're doing?" Wade bellowed, his nose touching hers.

"Joining your band," Zadie yelled back, grabbing her fiddle.

"No, you ain't," her older brother responded hotly. "Ya'll too young." Forcefully, he pushed his little sister to one side.

Several years ago, Wade and Cash Hudson, along with their friend Riggs Bolt, created a band called the Rebel Rousers. They achieved success by playing at local honky-tonks, weddings, and the high school prom. Their dream was to eventually perform at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee. Zadie decided she wanted a piece of the action.

"Ain't too young," Zadie announced, hands on hips. She stood firmly before her brothers and wagged her head.

"You're too young," Cash asserted from behind the drum set. "Go on back in the house and play with your dolls."

"I have news for you, Cash Hudson," Zadie stated, marching toward her brother. She snatched the drumsticks from his hands. "I quit playing with dolls when I was ten." Skillfully twirling the sticks, she beat them on his head.

"Hey! Quit it!" her middle brother exclaimed, throwing his arms over his head. "Get her outta here, Wade."

Swiftly, Wade stepped behind her and encircled her waist. Lifting her off the floor, he carried her toward the garage door. Zadie kicked her long legs and flailed her arms. Wade dropped her outside the side entrance and slammed the door. Leaping to her feet, Zadie pounded on the door. It opened, and her brother shoved her fiddle into her hands. The lock clicked.

"I'll get you for this, Wade Hudson," Zadie screamed at the door. She kicked it hard and pouted at it. After a while, she gave up and walked toward the house. Before she entered, she turned back. "I'll show you. I'll get to Nashville before the both of you. And I'll become a star while you're still playing in Honky-tonks."

Zadie entered the house and ran upstairs to her room. Sitting yogi-style on the bed, she lifted her fiddle and played a rousing tune. While she played, she studied herself in the mirror. Her long blond hair framed her heart-shaped face. Blue eyes glittered above an aquiline nose and pert red lips. She wore cut-off denim Daisy Dukes and a halter top. Red leather cowboy boots adorned her tiny feet. Zadie looked like a perfect country music queen.

Talent ran in the Hudson family. Her mother and father performed at the Opry as a duo long before Wade, Cash, and Zadie were born. They reminisced fondly of sharing a stage with Hank Williams and Patsy Cline. Soon, the next generation of Hudson's would arise and take their place in country music history. Zadie would have liked to join her brothers, but they acted selfishly. She was determined to strike out on her own and make it big.

Wade, Cash, and Riggs continued to practice in the garage. Their music wafted through Zadie's open window, and she played along with them from her room. Finally, Riggs pulled his pickup to the garage door, and the brothers began loading their gear. They were scheduled to play at The Silver Saddle in Chattanooga that evening.

"Hey, ya'll," Zadie yelled, crawling out her window and standing on the veranda roof. "Ya'll can't have a country band without a fiddler." She waved her instrument and bow at them.

"Not a problem," Cash hollered back, holding his hands up to cup his lips. "Spanky Wall is meetin' us there."

"Spanky Wall, ya'll kiddin' or what?" Zadie snidely scoffed. "Spanky saws that ol' fiddle of his. He doesn't play. Sounds like a cat in heat."