I was in the forest, teaching Perila to use a sword, the day I discovered my powers.

"Hold it upright," I said, adjusting her spear. "Don't hold it too tight, you might become stiff."

"Okay, are you ready?" I asked her. 

"Yes Alecto." 

"Alright. I set a dummy up there, it will test what you learned because it can move." I pointed at the trees in front of me.

"Okay."

"Remember, if  you see something unusual,come back right away-" Perila already ran. I smiled to myself, proud of her achievements. Completely unaware of who was behind me, I dropped my sword. 

"Well, look who it is," A voice said from behind me. "Alecto, Ramira, Zhang." I knew that voice anywhere. I turned around pushing my sword to his neck.

"Get. Out. Of. Here." I hissed. "Landier, if you don't move, I will chop your neck off."

"Chill Zhang, I'm just here to-" Perila bounded into view.

 "Hi sister! I did it!" She exclaimed. "I can't believe I did it!" Her smile faded at the look on my face. She whipped around to see Landier. 

"You," She said, her voice low. "Alecto said your family killed our parents."

"Yes," Landier shrugged, "But it isn't my fault eh? It's your Daphne's fault for not defending themselves." That was my last straw. How dare he throw my mother's name without a shred of respect!I faced him.

"You." I slapped him. "Don't." I punched him in his lips. "GET TO SAY THAT ABOUT OUR MOTHER!" I screamed, making a final blow at his face and pulling his pretty boy blonde hair. His blue eyes shone with fear as I stood up, grabbed Perila and walked away.

"Oh," I turned around. "Don't ever say anything about my mother ever again." Instinctively, I thrust my hand towards his body and a beam of  black light  appeared. "Alecto." Perila's soft voice said. "C'mon, leave him be." 

As we trudged back home I asked her, 

"Perila? Did you see that?" 

"What?" She frowned. "The darkness?"

"Yes. How do you know what it is?"

A bit of her old mischievous side flickered on her face. "I stole a book from my teacher."

"Can you tell me?"

"Sure," A light twinkled in her eye. "Just let us get home." She tapped my arm.

"Tag, you're it!" Laughing , I ran off after her, and I forgot about Landier for a long time.