Chapter 14

I regained consciousness very slowly. I was hit with blurry images first, sights and scenes that melded into hazy dreams. Eventually, they became clearer, though they didn't make much sense. After a time, it occurred to me that the problem was that the images were mixing with the wrong sounds... real sounds. Panicked sounds.

I thought I recognized Chevelle's voice and tried to focus on it, to understand the agony. "Frey," he said, and something brushed my cheek, warm and feather light.

The distant impression that it might have been the brush of lips had me drawing in a sharp breath, and I coughed, gasping to fill my lungs. The air shifted as those surrounding me moved in response. I forced my eyes open and found Ruby, Steed, and Chevelle. They looked for a moment as if they were suffering my pain... and then I realized the pain was gone, and the siren was silenced. My breathing steadied, the fear abating, and their faces relaxed. Relief washed over their expressions, but their postures remained stiff and alert. I pushed up to find the source of the danger, and dizziness incapacitated me.

They rushed to kneel beside me, and I could see that was how they had been before my gasp had moved them to standing. My throat was too raw to speak, so Chevelle gave me a canteen. I would have taken anything, but I was glad it was water, not hot wine or that foul-tasting elixir.

"What happened?" I finally choked out, but they were tight-lipped.

"How do you feel?" Chevelle asked. His tone was off, a little shaky. I couldn't tell if he was cross or something else. There was something so familiar about the way he leaned over me, but my thoughts weren't working right yet.

I tried to clear my head before answering. "I don't know." It was the best I could do.

"Are you hurt?"

"No."

He glanced at my hands wrapped tightly around the neck of the container then back at me. "Do you know who I am?"

Something about that was funny, and I laughed, but it came out hoarse.

He looked torn and tentative as he posed the next question. "Can you tell me your name?"

I wondered how badly I was messed up for him to approach me with such a line of questioning. "Frey."

"Your full name?"

I rolled my eyes then wished I hadn't as the room spun. I pressed a hand to my temple. "Elfreda Georgiana Suzetta Glaforia."

They all drew in a deep breath.

"What?"

Chevelle's sigh seemed to have let the air out of him. His fingers rested on the edge of the cloak beneath me. "Are you in pain?"

"No. Not anymore."

He nodded. "What do you remember?"

"I was—" I faltered. I didn't know why, but I felt protective of my secret. I didn't want to tell anyone I was in my horse's mind. I started again, aware of my annoyed tone. "I don't know. I was following all of you and suddenly"—I threw my hands up in a vague gesture indicating the attack. It was the best description I could give—"just pain and screeching."

Ruby and Steed bolted to their feet as someone came in, but it was only Grey. "What is it?" Chevelle said, still kneeling over me.

Grey hesitated, rubbed a palm awkwardly over the woven material of his shirt. "A horse is at the door."

Chevelle glanced at me, and I hoped he didn't see my smile. I knew it was my steed.

Grey waited. "Well, should I let him in?"