𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 03

Past•

Umar used to have a late breakfast and then skipped lunch. He would also have his evening tea in his room. However, dinner was always eaten with everyone else. After that day, she began having breakfast much earlier. She slowly started feeling that a lot had changed since Umar Jehangir came to the house. Despite staying less among the family members, many things in the house were happening according to his wishes and preferences. Her grandparents mostly talked about him. Unlike before, they didn't discuss Aleeza much. Most dishes on the dining table were prepared according to his likes and dislikes. Seeking Aleeza's opinion about food was reduced. Her grandparents were always concerned about his health and comfort, and she seemed to have taken on a secondary role in the house. This was not new for her.

Every year, whenever any of her uncles' families visited, she would be pushed to the background in the same manner. Then, her grandparents' attention would be solely focused on the arriving guests. But all of this did not seem so burdensome to her because those people only stayed for a few weeks. However, Umar Jehangir had to stay there for a long time, and it felt like he had usurped her.

After waking up at noon that day, she had started searching for Kirsty as usual. She wasn't downstairs. At that time, she couldn't be outside either. After failing to find her at her usual spots, she had started calling her. But she didn't come.

"Nano, Where is Kirsty?" she asked.
She had gone to nano's room; she was resting there.

"Look in Umar's room, she must be there," Nano told her.

"In Umar's room. But Kirsty never goes to anyone else..."
It was as if she had been struck by her words.

"Yes, but she has become very attached to Umar. After you she spends the whole day with him. She must be there now too."
Nano had said with closed eyes.

She had quietly left the room. She still couldn't believe that Kirsty could go to anyone else besides her. She had knocked at Umar's room door hesitantly.

"Yes, come in!"
His voice had immediately risen from inside, and she had opened the door and entered.

"Kirsty, you're here..."
She left the conversation unfinished.

He was swinging on the rocking chair in front of her. He had a book in one hand, and in the other, he was petting Kirsty. She was sitting in his lap. Even upon seeing Aleeza, Kirsty didn't attempt to move from her place. She remained seated confidently. Aleeza kept looking at her with surprise and disappointment.

"Yes, Kirsty is with me. Go, Kirsty."
He pushed kristy off his lap, and kristy started running towards her.

Aleeza was filled with unbridled anger on both of them.

"Just go to hell,"

She shouted loudly for the first time in her life, slamming the door shut with all her might as she ran into her room, not emerging until evening. By then, her anger had turned into worry. She was troubled by the thought of what Nano would think if he told her about her actions. She felt remorse for her behavior and couldn't comprehend why she was so upset. Whether it was Kristy going to someone else or to Umar, not even coming to her on seeing her or for coming to her at the request of Umar. When she finally entered the lounge, Kristy was only there, as soon as she saw Aleeza, she tried to come to her, but Aleeza had pushed her sharply away from herself.

Umar had returned to his room as usual for dinner, and Aleeza's apprehensions didn't materialize. He smiled at her as always when he saw her, and during dinner, he engaged in conversation just like he always did. She quietly ate her meal, keeping her head down. After dinner, he went back to his room. Aleeza breathed a sigh of relief.