viii

✶˚₊‧✩*「chapter 8」*✩‧₊˚✶

"THINGS ARE CHANGING." The room went silent, listening to what Gally was saying.

I sat next to Chuck, on the front row, watching and waiting for him to continue.

"There's no denying that." He said. "First Ben gets stung in broad daylight. Then Alby." He turns around and faces the spot where Thomas sat. "And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze." He turned back, "Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah." Frypan spoke up, "But he saved Alby's life."

"Did he?" Gally asked.

I would think so. I mean, would you rather have Alby be in the maze or out of it?

"For three years," Gally continued, "We have co-existed with these things. And now," He spun around and pointed towards Thomas, going to speak directly to him, "You've killed one of them." He turns back, "Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"What do you suggest we do?" Newt pipes up.

"He has to be punished." Gally says.

A loud mumbling from the other Gladers began.

"Minho." Newt said, causing them to fall silent, "You were there with him, what do you think?"

He was silent for a moment. "I think, in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind and helped Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid, whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a runner."

The mumbling from the other was louder this time.

"Thomas, Thomas, Thomas.." Chuck chanted next to me. He gave up when no one joined in. He looked at me defeated and I gave him a quick smile.

"Look if you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine," Gally shouted out, "Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the maze-" He got cut off when an alarm blared out.

I sat up straighter, my head going in the direction it was coming from. The box was coming up.

Everyone started exiting the room, running in the direction of the box.

"Ok wait, wait, wait." Thomas said, stopping in his tracks. Me, Chuck and Minho behind him. "I know that sound."

"The box, it's coming back up." Chuck said.

"I hope it's another girl. I really need a girl friend." I say, turning to the others. They all gave me looks to say it's-not-another-girl.

We all ran to join the others, pushing through to the front.

"Newt, what do you see?" Someone called.

Newt looked up at us, his eyes lingering on me for a second longer.

"It's a girl."

I jumped up and spun around to Thomas, Chuck and Minho. "I told you." I spun back around and looked into the box. There was indeed another girl in there.

"I think she's dead." Newt said again.

"Absolutely not." I say, crossing my arms, i'm not having another girl in the glade just for her to be dead. A few laughed echoed around at what I had said.

"What's in her hand?" Gally asked.

My eyes immediately went to her hand. A piece of paper was sticking out.

Newt carefully took it and read it out loud. "She's the last one. Ever."

A silence fell throughout us as we took in what the note said.

"What the hell does that mean?" Newr asked.

Before anyone could reply, the girl in the box gasped and opened her eyes. "Thomas. Jaden." Her eyes closed and she fell into a deep sleep one again.

I looked up and found everyones eyes on me. I turned to Thomas who was already looking at me.

"Still think i'm overreacting?" Gally said.

Heyyy
i just did so much english lit poetry revision, im so done
love you

-jess

word count: 653
edited: no