Chapter seven: Paradise

When Kurapika awoke the next day, he found himself clutching a white cushion. His face was buried in the soft fabric and for a few blissful seconds the gears in his brain didn't start turning.

The thoughts came flooding in after a heartbeat and Kurapika scrambled up so quickly, that his vision blurred with the sudden change of blood pressure. He staggered out of the bed, nearly dislocating his knee and pressed his body against the nearest wall, while getting a grip again.

Luckily no one was there to witness his disgraceful behavior. The room was completely empty, the only moving entity being the dust particles illuminated by the light that came flooding through the window.

Kurapika took a few deep breaths and silently counted to twenty in his head. He didn't get that far. When he was barely at 13 he was calm enough to work again.

He slipped off his pajamas and changed them for the most formal and uncomfortable suit he had. With a plastic comb he stroked a bit through his silky hair and opted to wear it open again. He would be able to hide his face behind the strands if necessary. Then he silently brushed his teeth. He spit the paste into the sink while trying desperately to avoid looking into the mirror above it.

He couldn't ever look into a mirror again as it stood.

Not only had he suffered a panic attack in front of his sworn enemy, he'd also allowed himself to be carried to bed by said enemy and worst of all–

He had actually... cuddled with Chrollo Lucilfer, widely recognized as the most malevolent individual roaming the earth!

What was going on here? Was this some kind of joke? A curse, the universe had inflicted upon him? Seriously. He had lost his family, his freedom and now even the last remaining bits of his pride had to go?

No. The universe really held a grudge against Kurapika.

"Uhm, Good morning."

Kurapika's sharp gaze snapped to the mirror above the sink. It scanned the reflection within a fraction of a second and clung to the silhouette of the Spider. He stood at the hotel door, the strong light casting a shadow across his features. Kurapika nearly had forgotten how silent the thief could be.

"There is breakfast downstairs."

Kurapika didn't turn around, he just clutched the sink so hard that his knuckles turned white. A few seconds passed, the only sound being the running water in the basin.

"You aren't going to be very useful to me if you die of starvation. Go eat something."

A bit too quickly, Chrollo shut the door behind him and Kurapika could hear the faint steps distancing themselves from the hotel room.

The comment was meant sarcastically but it held some truth.

Kurapika had decided that dying was the easy way out. He wouldn't give his enemy the satisfaction. He would bide his time, even if it took years, to find his way out of the Spider's web. And in the meantime, he would be researching the most painful of deaths for a certain someone.

***

Descending the crooked flight of stairs into the lobby, Kurapika found Chrollo having an animated chat with the receptionist. They seemed to be best buddies after knowing each other for only such a short amount of time. Those were the charms of the Spider; it only took him a second to ensnare and manipulate anyone who crossed his path. Kurapika needed to keep his guard up.

"Ah, there's your friend! Sorry to keep you waiting, we were just exchanging a knitting technique. Come along, I'll show you the breakfast-room!"

The secretary grabbed a few keys and wobbled out of the room, the two men following at a bit of a distance.