CHAPTER SIXTEEN:GIFT CEREMONY

Bakshi Bano P.O.V.

Ammi-jaan and mami-jaan walked into the room where we stood.Identical smiles on their faces,their faces glowing and eyes glistening,shinning with happines that seemed to want to leave their bodies.They shared a gaze,smiles seemingly widening as they looked back at her.

"Chale?"
(Shall we?)

My hands that had held a sword,that had defended this land now shook,wetness covering it as I held onto my own duppata.Once I would step out of that door,the entire Sultanat would know that I would be wed to Shahensha Haider.I took in a deep breath,letting it out slowly.I held my head high,not allowing it to fall to my chest.I had faced war,I could face this new chapter of my life.

"Chalo." Nusrat Bano and my voices echoed,we both looked at one another and giggled lightly.We both looked at our mothers who gave a nod of their head before they came towards us with a parda in each hand.Ammi-jaan tied it around my face while mami-jaan did the same for Nusrat Bano.They turned as we let go of one another's hands and they begin to walk.Nusrat Bano and I begun to follow them out of the room.
(Let's go)

The bright sun rays shone brightly over us,my had high but my eyes lowered.Flowers began to be showered over us,the strong scent of roses and lilies grew stronger as we walked past the many attandees.As we came to the area that had been set up,our bandi held our duppata that trailed behind us and we climbed up.

Nusrat Bano and I turned around to face those who had been invited for the wedding functions.Out of habit,my eyes wandered around the courtyard.I held back the nod of approval that I wanted to give Bhaktawar and Ruksar Mirza,yet I knew they saw the pride in my eyes.

I continued moving my gaze around which then fell on Masuma Begum and Hafeeza Bano who stood along with abbu-jaan and Hafeez Bhai,the latter two of whom looked as if storms of displeasure had surrounded them.Whereas,abbu-jaan and bhai-jaan had wide smiled,their faces glowing.Abbu-jaan had already expressed his happiness at the fact that I would be wedding Shahensha Haider.

"Aap sab ka Hajjat Qila mein istiqbal hai." Hakim Alla announced,starting off the function,"Hajjat Qila is honoured to be hosting you all today.Hajjat Qila's two daughters will be wed from here,today we host their gift ceremony.For every amount of gifts put on the scale when the scale my sisters sit on will raise will be given in charity.First,the ceremony will be conducted for Nusrat Bano,followed by Bakshi Bano."
(We welcome you all to Hajjat Qila)

Mami-jaan lead Nusrat Bano to the scale where she helped her sit on the one plate of the scale,after which mami-jaan's bandi stepped forward to hand her a couple potli which were filled with jewellery which she touched to Nusrat Bano's head.She then placed the potli on the other plate of the scale.She was followed by ammi-jaan who then did the same.

I stepped forward,Khaazra stepped forward with a tray which I took a potli from,I touched it to her head as well.Memories of the two of us running around this scale,when I would sit on one end and she would sit on the other end.Memories of our birthdays when we the gold according to our weight would weigh down,came across my mind.I felt a tear run down my face which I wiped down as I put the potli on the other plate.