becoming katniss everdeen

The sounds of birds calling to each other and leaves falling off of trees is what Marlowe woke up to

She opened her eyes to see the sun shining bright above her.

She was back in the field and knew that it was either for another trauma dump or more information was about to be released to her.

Marlowe sat up, placing her hands behind her on the grass and looking around.

As expected, Apollo was leaned against a trunk of a tree, talking gibberish to himself. His black sunglasses were on the tip of his nose and he bounced around as if he were singing a song.

Marlowe walked towards him, careful not to scare the sun god. She had done that once before and it was not a pleasant day.

The blonde stood in front of Apollo, her figure casting a shadow over him.

"Ah, hello, Mars," Apollo said with a smile. He pushed his sunglasses up his nose and tilted his head back to lean on the tree.

"Hello," Marlowe replied, confused as to what she was doing there. "Is there a specific reason I'm here?"

"Well, I heard you are going on a quest!" Apollo exclaimed, clapping his hands together.

"Um, yeah, Percy invited me to go with them, but I don't know if I should. In the books—"

"Ah, ah, ah!" Apollo cut her off, waving his hand in front of her face. "Remember what we said. The rules have changed now, sweetheart. The books and their plot have completely been thrown away as soon as you entered this reality."

"But...the major points still happen, don't they? I mean, for the most part they already have," Marlowe said, although she was mostly talking to herself.

The sun god nodded. "You are correct, the main points of the stories do occur. But where's the fun in anything if you know exactly what happens?"

Marlowe nodded, staying silent. Her mind was still stuck on the prophecy she had heard at the meeting. It changed and it's her fault.

"Don't worry about the prophecy, child. The more you dwell on it, the more you are going to stress yourself out and things will go very wrong," Apollo told her, his brows furrowing.

"But it's going against everything!" Marlowe exclaimed, throwing her arms out to the side. "I mean, if I'm supposed to go on this quest—which I'm technically not—how am I supposed to defend myself? I don't have a sword and I most definitely can't bring a bow and some arrows without causing a scene! It's all just too much!"

Apollos sighed, standing up and placing his hands on her shoulders. "Take a deep breath."

Marlowe complied. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, forcing herself to relax.

When she opened her eyes once more, she saw Apollo smiling at her.

"There you go," he said softly. "Try not to think about the prophecy too much. Everything will be okay. For the weapons situation though, that is why I have brought you here. I think you deserve a proper way to hide your choice of weapon."