Chapter 1

I barely remember writing this 💀
Thank you brekitten for reading and giving such great feedback!!
______
Cassandra Cain was a living weapon.

She had been raised, from the moment she could walk, to be a strong and capable assassin.

Though she had long given up the life of a killer, Cass continued to use her skills for the good of others, working as one of the renowned gotham vigilantes.

That was why, as she gazed down at the infant in her arms, she vowed to protect him by any means necessary.
______

It had started as a short mission, tracking down a group of known theives to their last known location, a small town in Illinois called Amity Park.

The traveling circus had been linked to a string of robberies across the country, but all trace of them had mysteriously vanished.

Rather than finding the group terrorizing the area as she had expected, Cass was surprised to find instead a teenage vigilante doing his best to keep the peace.

She had noticed something was off about the town from the moment she stepped out of the car. The townspeople walked just a bit too quickly, as if they were nervous to be out in the open.

It was not unlike Gotham, whose citizens were under constant fear of a villain attack.

But why would these people need to fear? They live in a small illinois town, not some crime-ridden city.

It had not taken long for Cass to figure It out, as a floating, glowing man passed through what seemed like a solid brick building, mere feet in front of her

The man's eyes darted around the streets as if he were looking for something.

He did not have to look long, as a teenage boy, no older than 16, flew past.

When the large man caught a glimpse of the child's pure white hair blurring past, he gave chase.

"Whelp!" He cried, his voice distorted in an almost inhuman way.

The two quickly disappeared around a street corner, soon followed by a large crashing noise.

As Cass rounded the corner, she had expected to see one or both of the beings wreaking havoc.

Instead, she was met with the sight of only the boy, whizzing through the air.

His flying seemed random, erratic. It soon became apparent that he was dodging some sort of green light blasts from the ground below.

The origin of the blasts was a man and woman in strange hazmat suits. They shot what appeared to be some kind of blasters at the young boy.

What was particularly off-putting was the fact that the child seemed used to the attacks, maneuvering skillfully through the barrage.

"Come on, can't you guys take a day off for once?" He cried, frustrated by the couple chasing him.

Cass would not stand for this, attacking a child with no visible provocation.

Just as she took a step towards the action, a hand grasped her shoulder from behind.

"Ma'am, please stay back. You dont want to get caught in the middle of all that," the man who had stopped her pleaded.

"What is going on here?" Cass questioned, shaking his hand from her shoulder.

The man seemed taken aback by the sudden hostility, but responded, "He's a ghost. I don't blame you for not knowing, not much news gets in or our of amity these days, what with the GIW monitoring everything."