Chapter 4

Visenya peeked through the curtains of the carriage, casting her eyes upwards towards the sky where she could see Arrax circling above, Vermax not far behind.

She was forbidden to fly to King's Landing by her mother, for "it would not be appropriate for her first entrance back at home" Rhaenyra had said. She and Jace had protested for quite some time before they were both silenced with a look from their father.

Now, as Visenya was knocked back from the window by the carriage's swaying she had wished she'd been rebellious.

'Careful there, sister. Wouldn't want you arriving with a large bump on your forehead.' Jace chuckled, moving aside slightly so that she could have more space to sit. He had reached his arm around her shoulder, holding the side of her head when the carriage jumped once more, her temple almost knocking against the window if not for her brother's hand.

Rhaenyra and Daemon were sitting on the opposite side of their children, with young Joffrey bouncing softly on her lap to keep the babe at bay.

'Like the one you received during training?' Visenya responded playfully with a small smile. Jace turned his gaze into a glare.

'That was hardly fair, I was sparing against father!'

'And yet when it came to my training I had continued to excel without fail. Not to mention get a bump on my head on their first day.'

'You nearly dove into the sea with Arrax on your first flight.'

'Yes, nearly.'

'Yet you'd both still be years early before you are ready to fly a dragon into battle.' Daemon spoke up, leaning back against his seat as he watched his two eldest quarrel. 'Your bonds are too weak.'

'How did you strengthen your bond with Caraxes, father?' Visenya asked, genuinely curious. Though it can take up to a decade to bond fully with a dragon, Daemon had strengthen the bond with his at a rapid speed even those not of Targaryen blood could tell.

'We hunt, together.'

'Animals?'

Daemon merely answered his daughter's question with a sly smile, Visenya feeling the corner of her lips lifting at the insinuation.

Where Jace took after Rhaenyra in his merciful, gentle yet brave ways of the growth Visenya had taken after her step father. Only she was much more discreet in her aggression. Though at a glance none would be able to tell, she had a knack for violence Daemon recognized as his own.

Like a sleeping beast waiting to be awoken.

'Princess Rhaenyra of house Targaryen and the Prince Consort Daemon Targaryen!'

A male voice rung out from the gates, the heavy metal being pushed opened to allow the carriages entrance. Visenya looked on once more though from where she sat she could see no sight of the Queen or the Hand.

'Do you reckon the secret passages in our chambers are still there?' Jace mumbled, keeping his voice low as to not let their parents hear.

'Of course, it's only been six years, Jace. No mad man would try to destroy the passages. It would lead to the castle's downfall.'

The carriage came to a stop shortly before a footman held opened their door. Daemon moved first, stepping down onto the outside ground before her mother followed, then Jace, and finally, Visenya.

It took her less than a minute to grasp the rough image of their standings. Neither the Queen, nor the Hand was present in welcoming them back into their home. Rhaenyra stood, shoulders tensed as she held Joffrey close to her chest with Daemon looming menacingly at her back.