Chapter 19

For the first time in years, the One Eyed prince had missed his morning session.

Visenya walked through the castle walls along with the other maidservants, making sure to not stay too far behind though with her limp, it wasn't exactly the easiest of tasks. The wooden bucket in her hand continued to thump against her leg, occasionally spilling out droplets of water and soiling the hem of her skirts, she had a piece of cloth in the other hand, already grey from being used.

On this day, the castle was quieter than the rest. Commoners were no longer allowed in palace walls, relatives to the servants within or not. Now, only the anxious noblemen remain, awaiting any news about the ongoing war.

The maids turned a corner and she followed, careful to not spill any more of the water on her dress.

"I reckon the Prince has finally brought a maiden to his chambers." One of the maids spoke. Lyra, her name was, the same maid who had struck the princess a mere day before. Visenya listened to the idle gossip, keeping her head low when she could hear the faint footsteps of a line of knights nearby.

Another servant gasped scandalously, lowering her voice as she leaned in. "You think so?" She started, frowning at the thought. "I never thought of him as that kind of man."

Lyra rolled her eyes in exaggeration. "You fool, every man is that kind of man. Have you not learnt from the frequent visits to the King's chambers? His doors are practically useless."

An older maid from behind lifted her hands, smacking the two both on their heads and they immediately quietened, spotting the line of knights headed their way. The princess waited, heads lowered while they walked past before she glanced behind with curiosity. She still hasn't seen a single knight she recognised.

Once the idle gossip started the princess took it as her chance to sneak away. After all, it was already noon, none of the other servants would've questioned her absence. She reached down, checking the pouch once more to see if it was there before continuing on her way.

Lady Mysaria had given her new herbs that morning, no longer questioning her motives. Visenya could tell that the White Worm did not trust her completely nor did she dislike her the way the princess was sure she disliked the new King.

Most of the population would not have taken a liking to Aegon if they ever had the chance to meet him, that she was sure of, so it was no surprise that the White Worm would have aided her in her plans to take the usurper down from within. The Lady was not willing to play her hand directly, only giving the princess shelter and materials that she had asked for but that was all she needed.

Visenya always worked better when she was alone, there was more freedom to her actions that way.

Lowering her head once more when yet another line of knights walked past the princess took a right to go down the green coated stairs, towards where she knew the Maester's supplies would be.

The effect of the drug would not wear off for another two weeks if the herbs under his mattress remained where they were and if she were to get into his room again, she had to do it in the most natural way possible. By now, the Prince must have finally lowered his useless stubbornness, finally allowing his mother to call for the maesters. Visenya could only hope that when Aegon is useful enough to keep his mother busy and out of her second son's chambers.

She wasn't sure Alicent would overlook her disguise.

The door to the Maester's supply room was wide opened and the princess let herself in, the old man inside not even lifting his head. Her heart skipped a beat when she recognised him, seeing him once entering her grandfather's chambers during her last visit and the princess swiftly turned her back upon the man, lowering the bucket onto the floor instead and getting to work.