Ch 8 - The Intruder

All I heard was that a family was coming to visit Dadi today

All I heard was that a family was coming to visit Dadi today. I clearly did not hear anything about an animal coming to the mansion. What the hell? I don't know if my ears were playing tricks on me or if someone failed to mention that we were expecting a zoo along with the relatives.

I had just wrapped up a tedious meeting when I descended the stairs, my mind already preoccupied with the paperwork awaiting me in my study. I spotted her from afar, skulking about like a cat burglar with her beady eyes darting around. My instincts went on high alert, and I approached her cautiously, ready to intercept whatever mischief she was plotting.

Just as I was about to confront her, she turned around abruptly, and before I could react, she careened straight into me. Fantastic. As if my day couldn't get any worse. I stood there, frozen in disbelief, wondering if I had somehow stumbled into a parallel universe where clumsiness was contagious.

Did I do something wrong to deserve this enduring chaos in my past life? Fate has a twisted sense of humor, pairing me up with this walking misfortune of a girl. And, of course, it had to be her, with those rosy cheeks and wide, innocent eyes that seemed to hold a world of mischief beneath their surface.

Why is she staring at me like that? As if I'm some sort of rare specimen in a museum exhibit. It's unnerving, to say the least. But then again, she's always been a bit odd, hasn't she? I shouldn't be surprised by her peculiar behavior.

I stood there, frozen like a statue, as she slowly extended her hand toward my face. I could have easily dodged her touch, but for some inexplicable reason, I remained motionless, my gaze locked on hers. Why did I do that? It was a question that nagged at the back of my mind as her fingers inched closer, threatening to invade my personal space. And then, without warning, she decided to pinch my cheeks. Pinch my cheeks! What on earth was she thinking?

I shot her a withering glare, my patience wearing thin as she dared to invade my personal bubble. Without hesitation, I snatched her wrist, holding it firmly. She let out a surprised yelp, her eyes wide with shock, but before she could utter a word, I swiftly covered her mouth with my hand, silencing her protests. With a firm grip, I steered her away from the living room's prying eyes toward the closed wall's proximate.

Cursing under my breath, I scanned the room for unwanted spectators, my annoyance growing with each passing second. How had she managed to sneak in unnoticed? It was beyond me, but then again, nothing about her seemed to adhere to conventional logic.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed through clenched teeth, my tone sharp with irritation.

She retaliated by sinking her teeth into my hand with surprising force, eliciting a sharp intake of breath from me. I tightened my grip in response, a silent warning for her to behave. "Chup pagli mahlia," I admonished, my voice low but laced with frustration. How she dared to bite me, I couldn't react.

(Be quiet crazy woman)

She looked up at me with an impish glint in her eyes, resembling nothing more than a cranky bunny. The absurdity of the situation almost made me want to laugh if it weren't for the fact that she was currently testing the limits of my patience. With a resigned sigh, I removed my hand from her mouth, allowing her to compose herself.