𝟎𝟔𝟐. 𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲

𝖤𝖺𝗋𝗅𝗒 𝖬𝖺𝗒 2021

𝖤𝖺𝗋𝗅𝗒 𝖬𝖺𝗒 2021

𝖂alking up the familiar two steps leading to the small family home Jack plants his feet on the dusty Welcome mat, fidgeting with the paper bag in his hands as he presses the doorbell waiting in anticipation.

The door pulls open and sharp gray eyes land on him before melting in surprise, a smile slowly taking up her face.

"Jack, you're here! Come on in, sweetie".

Maureen steps aside letting him enter and greets him with a short embrace before moving back and staring at him with her hands on her hips, the smile firm on her face.

"She's excited to see you".

"Really?", he asks in an eager tone.

Maureen's smile widens, "You're all she's been talking about all week. 'No, Jack gets here on Thursday, sorry mom. No, Thursday's for Jack, I'll be busy. No, no shopping day for Thursday, Jack's coming in'. So now, you tell me".

His cheeks heat up and he wants to deny it, back away and pretend that this new information does not affect him in any way but his body still tingles and the blush on his cheeks glows under the warmth of the sunlight pouring in.

Maureen nods in understanding.

"Go ahead. I'm not gonna keep you".

"It's great seeing you, Maureen. Seriously", he grins and bounds up the stairs, quickly reaching the closed door of June's room and knocks impatiently.

"Mom, this better be important!", she calls out from inside and honestly, it feels so good to hear her voice in person.

Taking that as his cue to go in, he opens the door, shutting it behind him his gaze catching on her seated by her mirror and applying a fresh coat of lip gloss.

Her eyes find his in the mirror and she squeals, jumping out of her seat throwing the lip gloss down on the dresser and rushing over to him.

Her arms come up around his neck and she comes in with full force almost knocking him to the floor.

He laughs, wrapping his arms around her waist and hugging her properly for the first time in months, breathing in her soft lavender scent.

"Are you real?", she breathes out loudly, tightening her hold on him.

He traces a gentle finger down her spine, her body involuntarily shivering over the material of her baby pink dress.