Chapter 2 - Welcome To The Zones, Fireflies

I wake up to a pitch black darkness, sand all around me. It coats my throat, making me cough as I sit up. I look around, my outfit ripped and still covered in blood. If I was going to survive out here, I needed to find another set of clothing. Which zone was I even in? It was hard to tell, purely because all of the Zones look the same. I couldn't be too far; Bat City was bordered by Zone 1 and I had only been following Route Guano for a few days now. My leg is in searing pain and I am dehydrated, but I see a building in the distance? I walk towards it, intrigued. It took about 30 minutes, but I notice that it had a sign on it. What are with the Killjoys and their signs?!

I walk in, disregarding the sign. I probably wouldn't regret that later, would I? Eh, it won't matter; I was probably going to die anyway. I hear the soft rustling of plastic as I walk in, the metal door swinging. As I walk among the aisles, I see a few piles of clothes, weapons, and masks. None had been duplicated and none had been used. I picked up a green jacket, black pants, a brown holster, orange ray gun, and a mask that was navy blue with white detail. My hair is all scraggly, but I decide to deal with that later; I heard the crackle of a radio that had fought my attention. As I make my way to the back of the area, I see a radio.

"Welcome to WKIL 109, little kitties. The only radio show in the Zones, and arguably the most successful. I'm Dr. D, here to attend to all your needs, musically and economically.  Recent news from the city: a Draculoid has gone rogue and has broken through city limits, finding its way to our wasteland of a home. Keep an eye out, and trust no one. Here is the current weather...." His voice droned on, but I stop. They thought I was a criminal... I'm no criminal! Many Draculoids before me had run, but none had ever been called a criminal. I grab the radio and shove it into my pack, shoving the new ray gun into the leather holster on my hip.

The voice of the man claiming to be some character named "Dr. D" floats through my pack as I ride on a motorbike, following Route Guano. It is so much easier than walking, and I am sure no one was going to miss their bike too much. I set off towards Zone 6, where I had heard that many groups of Killjoys lived, namely a few that had attempted to infiltrate BL/ind HQ when I was but a child. I took a sharp turn, but then hear motorbikes behind me. The familiar smell of burning rubber and rotting flesh seepe into my nose as I rode faster, and when I look behind me, I almost crash the bike. I'm not dead, not yet. But I almost am.