Chapter 3

"This is so boring" Nate huffed beside me, resting his head on the table. It was last period - thank god - we were in Biology. Today we were doing a practical experiment - something along the lines of measuring the differing rate of respiration between a frog and a toad - which meant we had live frogs at the back of the classroom, waiting to be experimented upon. I've never been a big fan of biology, but a practical experiment was definitely a whole lot better than listening to Mr. Pott's dull voice for an hour.

"Right, I need you all to get into groups of minimum two, and maximum three" Mr. Potts, our Biology teacher yelled, disturbing my train of thoughts of last nights events and bringing me back to reality. Nate's head snapped up immediately darting towards me, mentally confirming that we'd work together. I just hope he knew what he was doing because i certainly do not.

"What are we meant to be doing?" he asked whilst staring into space. "How should i know?" I rolled my eyes, looking around the room in hope that i could ask someone nearby.

"Measure and record the lengths of the frog's hindlimb, forelimb, nostril width and mass then find the frog's nostrils . Every time the nostrils close the frog has taken in a breath. You then count the amount of times the frog breaths in one minute, Repeat your timings five times and take an average. Record your data. Got it?" the small boy seated behind me stated monotonously, his over-sized glasses, too big for his frame, sliding down his face.

"Yeah. Thanks." I didn't understand a word of that. Biology was not my thing. I didn't know frogs even had nostrils - how on earth were we even meant to find them and keep the frog still?

"So, what do we have to do?" Nate asked again, sweeping his hand through his hair.

"I have no idea, this is boring as hell"

"For god's sake!" he rolled his eyes, hitting his head on the desk.

I scanned the classroom, my eyes resting on the twelve jars of jittery frogs scattered on the back table. I just got an idea, a brilliant one.

"Nate?" I purred, my eyes flicking towards him. "Lets play dares!" i proposed, almost certain that he wouldn't turn down the offer - Nate had never turned down a dare.

"There's not much you can dare me to do in a classroom though, is there?" he grinned, facing me.

"I have an idea...I dare you to go to the back of the classroom and release half of the frogs! Mr. Potts isn't even looking! He won't even notice!" i challenged him excitedly.

A smile immediately emerged onto his lips and his eyebrows shot up "On one condition..." he paused. "You have to release the other half" he smirked, his gaze not once leaving mine.

"Deal!" we shook hands jokingly, this should be fun.

"Alright class, gather around the front table just so we can go other the experiment one more time for those who didn't listen!" Mr. Potts called out, his eyes darting towards mine and Nate's direction.

"This is the perfect opportunity, lets go!" i whispered, cautiously emerging from our seats and tip-toeing towards the back of the classroom. We divided the jars, six each.

"Lets go" he winked, focusing on the frogs. He opened the first jar, and tilted it, allowing the frog to escape. Within seconds the slimy green amphibian hastily exited the suffocating jar, and pounced to the ground, getting lost in the classroom.

I quickly removed the lids from the six, transparent jars and without even needing to tilt the jar, the six tiny viridescent anuras leaped out the of dungeon, sprinting across the classroom. Beside me, Nate was holding his hands over his mouth in attempt to hold in his laughter.