~Prologue~

The Windclan medicine den was chaos. Shrieks filled the air. This is no place to fight! Moonflower thought furiously scratching her opponent. Turning she saw Stonepelt release a shriek. He turned tail, and ran for his life. Looking back to check for anyone left behind, she followed him out to the surface. 

As she sprinted out of the den someone pounced at her and snatched her up with their powerful paws. She felt herself being flung through the air across the clearing. No, no no! Moonflower yelled at her attacker through her mind, you will not take me nor my kits! She landed on solid stone, knocking the breath out of her. She stumbled to her feet. Suddenly her attacker pounced on her once again. Claws reached through her fur and dug at her skin, teeth were digging into the fresh wounds and pain struck her like lightning.

Maybe Stormtail will help. She looked across the clearing and saw her daughter, whipping her head from side to side, as if she had thought the same thing as Moonflower. Her eyes flickered to a gray warrior beside a younger one, fighting off enemy warriors one by one. Moonflower felt a surge of pride but then Moonflower realised, that she was on her own. 

Her eyes shot straight back to her attacker as claws ripped her skin again. Hawkheart. The medicine cat fought bravely as Moonflower wrenched herself from him trying to run away and fighting at the same time. She felt a surge of satisfaction as her paws made a searing blow on the medicine cat's muzzle. He didn't even flinch. Instead he lunged at her grabbing her by the throat and sent her skidding across the clearing. She thought, it can't get any worser than this. "Nooooooooo!" Moonflower opened her eyes long enough to see her daughter Bluepaw leap towards her, only to be snatched away by teeth sinking in her tail. 

Moonflower blinked once, then twice, till she half closed them.......and then everything turned black.