CH: 18

“Why would I hide anything from you?” Ishan said with a weak smile.

“Okay,” Aditi replied before starting to get up.

Ishan panicked, grabbing her hand. “No, please, Adi. If you're worried about something, talk to me.”

Aditi looked at him, her expression softening a bit. “I’m not worried if you aren't hiding anything.”

Ishan rubbed his palms together soothingly, his eyes searching Aditi's face for any sign of hesitation. “Let me walk you to class?”

Aditi’s eyes darted away for a moment before she shook her head slowly. “I actually have to meet a friend, so–”

“Please don't lie to me,” Ishan muttered, his voice tinged with a hint of desperation.

Aditi gulped, her fingers fidgeting with the strap of her bag. “Aren’t you?”

Ishan took a deep breath, his shoulders slumping as he dropped his head onto her shoulder, his grip on her hand tightening slightly. “I’m sorry.”

Aditi rubbed his back, trying to offer what little comfort she could, even though her heart felt heavy. “Are you seeing someone else? Is that it?”

Ishan blinked, pulling back. “What- No! Why would you think that?”

Aditi shot him a confused frown. “Well, you know, the hickey.”

Ishan fixed his collar instinctively, sighing. “It’s not what you think. This is not– This isn't from a girl.”

“Huh?”

Ishan’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment as he muttered, “It's from Shubman.”

Aditi stared at him. “What?”

For some reason, she wasn't surprised. Then she was worried that she wasn't surprised. “Excuse me?” she asked.

“It’s a little complicated,” Ishan grunted.

Aditi’s eyes widened as she stepped back a little. “Is the rumor true? You–”

“No!” Ishan exclaimed, his voice laced with panic. “He's not gay. Please don’t tell anyone, he has such a bright future. He’s not anything of that sort, so please–”

“Hey, it’s okay,” Aditi reassured him, placing a hand on his shoulder. “I’m not telling anyone. Ish, it’s okay if he is.”

Ishan’s eyes flickered with panic. “No, he's not!”

“Okay, okay. He's not, I get it.” Aditi sighed, pulling him into a hug.

‘Oh, he definitely is’, her brain quipped.

She gulped, deciding if she should ask again. “But I still need to know what happened between you two, Ish.”

Ishan hesitated, slowly drawing away. Seeing his discomfort, she said, “I would never judge you, Ish. But I deserve to know.”

Ishan sighed, running a hand through his hair nervously. “I did... something stupid with Shubman. It was just a one-time thing… that, um, might have happened a few times.”

‘Oh, Aditi, we’re really in it now,’ her brain quipped once again.

Aditi blinked, trying to process what he was saying. “Is this a... boys thing?” she managed to speak.

Ishan looked away, biting his lip. “I don't think so. But! It didn't mean anything, I swear.”

“Wow, um.” Aditi looked up at the summer sky, trying to stay calm. “I don't know what to say, Ish.”