Chapter 13: Absence of Doubt

Proofreader: azzianna

"Where are you taking me? And how about Mom, when you came here, have you told your girlfriend that you're here? What if she can't find you? What will she do? And who will my Nong (Toey) be with? What about the phone that Beer left with me?" I yelled loudly in the car. I've been yelling constantly since Phum dragged me from the concert until we were sitting in his car, while he just kept being quiet. Suddenly, Phum held out his hand in front of me without taking his eyes off the road.

"Give it to me."

"What?"

"Beer's phone."

"No" 

"GIVE-IT-TO-ME"

His voice was darker than a cappuccino. But no way. I'm not that afraid of you ná.

"I said, give it to me."

I was startled by the outburst and with his eyes glaring at me. For a moment there, I could see fire in his eyes. Where did he go to eat hornet's nest? Suddenly having a tantrum, taking out his anger at other people like a crazy dog. I clenched my hands tightly, my whole body was tense. Having patience at a level that could reach a Sotapanna in order to restrain myself from throwing a punch at Phum's mouth.

[*=Why's he pissed? Eat hornets nest (กินรังแตน) =be upset ; have a bad temper
** Sotapanna (โสดาบัน) Buddist term, one who entered the stream, which cuts through the first three fetters. Entering the stream is the first of the four stages of enlightenment.]

I'm not a hot-tempered person. Usually, I'm calm and indifferent. Whatever I can accept, I'd accept. But if someone behaves like this when I haven't done anything, it's unacceptable. However, the only thing I could do was to stay quiet.

"..." I was quiet.

"..." and the other person was silent.

"Where are you taking me? Or are you going to kill me? Before I die, please tell me what sin I've done to you. In case the Devil asks, I will be able to answer him correctly."

[T/n: Just tell him you were killed by a devil]

Phum didn't answer, and remained silent, then pressed on the accelerator. Damn, I was so uncomfortable. I turned to look outside the window, but I could hardly see anything as he was driving too fast. The electric poles and traffic lights were all blurred. I felt nauseous. You unlawful driver!

"Are (you two) very close?"

"What?" I heard the question clearly but I didn't understand the context.

"Why is my friend's phone with you?"

To sum it up, Phum was lashing out and attacked me, with his trunk and tusks like an enraged elephant, because he's possessive of his friend's phone. I was going crazy. But it's good, the more he wants it, the more I won't give in. Don't even dream that I'll hand it to him. I'll hold onto the phone until you die of anger. Just you wait!

"Who do you belong to?"

"What?"

I was confused for the millionth time. I'm not deaf, but hearing Phum's every question, I doubt someone will get it. Listening to and interpreting them was more difficult than studying art theories. I thought it was a challenge of wits. He suddenly asked strange things out of the blue.

"Did you smoke weed? I'm really asking. Do you want to park the car and buy something sweet to eat first?"

"Answer."