Chapter 9 ~ Miss Heartless

The next morning I woke up with a giant headache. Thank the Lord that today was a Sunday and I didn't have to go to the office.

I squinted my eyes to block out the sun while reaching out for my phone to look at my notifications. I wasn't surprised to see six missed calls from my mom and a couple from Luna. They must have been worried sick about me after my heated argument with my dad.

Remembering what happened last night, I reached my hand to lightly touch my cheek. It sure felt sore and a little swollen, but that was all.

I finally got out of bed and took a nice and long shower. After that, I got out of my apartment and got some breakfast at the Flipper's around the corner.

I was waiting for my order when I pulled out my phone to call Arial. She answered her phone on the third ring and immediately knew something was up.

"What happened? You want me to come over?"

"No, it's okay. We'll talk about it tomorrow when we're in the office. Right now, I just want to have some breakfast and get rid of this killing hangover. However, if you do decide you're up for some pancakes, I am waiting for you for twenty minutes before I place my order."

I heard some noises on the phone followed by a loud bang.

"Ari, are you okay?"

Then I heard the slamming of the door.

"I am on my way, sister! Flipper's around the corner of your building? See you in five!"

Arial exclaimed before the line went dead. I love the girl, but I wonder how Steve manages to keep up with her.

The more I thought about Arial and Steve, the lonelier I felt. I, too, wanted someone I can share every aspect of my life with. To find that one person who doesn't care if my hair and make-up is done, about the clothes I wear, what I do for a living, and, more importantly, someone who doesn't care about the amount of money in my account and how being in a relationship with me could benefit them.

I was taken out of my head when Arial touched my shoulder.

"Daydreaming about the guy your mom set you up with? Was family dinner that successful?" she asked as she sat down across from me and opened the menu to decide on what she would have for breakfast.

"Last night was perfect. Aaron, I must admit a decent and good-looking guy, hit it off with Luna, and my father and I got into a fight. I fled the house before dinner was served, and got wasted at a bar." I then looked Arial straight in the eye.

"I can't do this Ari, I can't just go out with a random guy and marry him. No normal guy would marry in one-hundred days, and those who will are only interested in my money and what a relationship with me can do to their reputation."

Arial thought about this for a while, or at least, I thought that was what she was doing.

Suddenly her facial expression changed in that particular face she makes when she had an idea. Her eyes lit up, and a smile plastered on her face.

"I have the perfect solution. We set you up with an online dating profile." I was about to interrupt her but she held up her finger.

"Just let me finish before you react, deal?"

I just nodded my head. I may be her boss, but Arial can be pretty intimidating when she needs to be. She anticipated me talking back, like normally would be the case, but once she was sure I would remain silent, she continued.

"We'll set you up with an online dating profile, where we change your name and occupation into mine. We'll use one of your own pictures, but one of those where you're not directly recognizable. The site's algorithm will set you up with a suitable match and from there you'll chat, see if things click. You'll meet up, and then you can choose if you want to come clean. It's a perfect way because it will show you as the person you are. Not your job, your name, your reputation or your bank account."

I considered her words carefully and thought about it all. I had ninety-eight more days to get myself engaged, or I would lose everything I worked so hard for, I gave up my dreams for.

That was not going to happen, not unless I have tried absolutely all that I could.

"Sure, why not. But please do it now before I change my mind."