42 - In Love and Loyalty.

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun. You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word."

- Al Capone

I stormed out of Conor's mansion, my mind a whirlwind of rage and pain

I stormed out of Conor's mansion, my mind a whirlwind of rage and pain. The sense of betrayal gnawed at my soul like a festering wound, fueling the fire of vengeance burning hot in my veins. I climbed into my car, hands trembling with fury as I revved the engine and peeled out onto the deserted streets.

My father's face, etched with a horrifying memory, flickered behind my eyelids, a constant reminder of the vengeance I craved. My musings were abruptly interrupted by the sight of a black Mercedes G-Class blocking the road ahead. Two figures lay sprawled on the cold asphalt, one cradling the other in a desperate embrace.

Without hesitation, I slammed on the brakes and leaped out of the car, my heart pounding in my chest as I rushed towards the fallen figures. As I drew closer, the harrowing scene came into focus under the harsh glare of my headlights.

Noah. He knelt on the ground, tears silently streaming down his face as he clutched the unconscious form of.. Frankie to his chest. Surrounding them were the lifeless bodies of half a dozen men, their blood staining the pavement like a macabre tapestry. Dozens of spent bullet casings littered the ground, glinting accusingly amidst the fallen bodies.

I stumbled towards them, the ground seeming to stretch endlessly beneath my leaden feet.

"Frankie..." The word rasped through my throat, a broken plea lost in the vast emptiness. My breath caught in my throat as I took in the sight of her face. Bruises, like grotesque constellations, marred her perfect skin.

Noah looked up, his eyes red-rimmed and hollow. A single tear, glistening in the harsh headlight beam, traced a path down his cheek. He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound emerged, only a shuddering breath escaping his lips.

Reaching them, I sank to my knees, my hand trembling as it reached for Frankie's. The coldness that emanated from her skin sent a jolt of terror through me.

It couldn't be. Not her. The woman who brought sunshine into the darkest corners of my miserable life couldn't be gone.

Panic jolted me back to my senses. Ignoring the throbbing in my head, I lunged for Frankie, my fingers trembling as I searched for any sign of injury. My hope and prayers were centered on the hope that she was unharmed. But Noah's grip was ironclad, stifling sobs that echoed the horrifying truth clawing its way out of denial.

"Let her go, Noah," I pleaded, trying to be gentle, but my anguish was too great. "Noah, please, let me help her!"

His haunted eyes finally met mine, a vacant terror swirling within them. "Hector," he choked out, the words a fractured whisper. "They can't hurt her anymore...they can't hurt her anymore...they can't..." The phrase echoed in a chilling loop, each repetition a hammer blow to my already shattered heart.