17: Parties & Blushing

TALIA

On a Tuesday after school, Felix drove me home, back to normal after his detention, with Delilah, Maeve and Camilla for our plans to hang out.

The car ride was loud and bloody energetic with ongoing talk about Leland's upcoming football match on Friday.

"What do you mean you won't go to the party, Talia?" Maeve asked as she followed me up the stairs.

The girls were all ecstatic about Felix's invitation to us all for a party after Leland's football match.

It would be their tenth match of the season and likely their tenth win so Felix was hosting a party at his house. It was also in recognition of the fact his parents had came to defence in a matter of hours after his detention to keep him on the team to Mr Denver.

It was no surprise Felix wanted to celebrate.

Before I even moved to Leland, he'd always given me notice of the events he'd often throw at his place with all his Leland friends but I never went.

For one, I didn't know anyone at the time and I knew it was just an invite due to me being family. Now, that would just be awkward.

Secondly, I wasn't exactly the party-type person. Unlike the boys of my family, I had never drunk, smoked or taken any drugs of any kind and judging by Felix's tendencies, his parties weren't for me.

Let alone a party with all the football team.

"Felix's parties are shit," I grumbled as we all filed into my room.

Looking for clearance, Delilah questioned. "But we're definitely going to the game?"

"Yes."

A simultaneous reply from Maeve and I echoed in the space with firm absoluteness.

The difference between our responses was that I was not excited and speaking from sad reluctance while Maeve was excited and speaking from hysterical joy.

"Someone's excited to see their boyfriend." Camilla giggled as she plopped into the beanbag chair by my shelves.

I didn't bother responding as I wasn't sure what to say or to whom the statement was directed.

During the ride home, I let Maeve sit in the front of the car with Felix due to the excuse that Felix's driving terrified me– going way over the speed limit at every chance he got.

A lot of the ride was spent with Maeve giggling and blushing at him.

It was actually cute. I still hate that word but it was the one way to describe it.

I preferred Maeve with Felix than I did with those hairy cricket players she had been with from our year group. And this was a rich thought based on my womaniser of a cousin.

Meanwhile, in the back seats, Delilah began the conversation of how she heard I got a ride home with Reece the night before. That only started the allegations about Reece and me as much as they had known about Felix and Maeve.

The girls had caught onto both boy-situations and they weren't letting it go.

"Gosh, she's speechless just thinking about him." Delilah laughed as she poked my shoulder.