Chapter 9

Vanessa's POV

Lately, things in Crestwood feel off, especially with Lily and Jess. I've seen Jess change, acting stranger by the day, and Lily, she's tense, always looking over her shoulder. Something's going on, and I'm determined to find out what.

I catch up with Lily at our usual spot by the school cafeteria. "Hey, what's up with you lately? You seem... different," I probe, trying to sound casual.

Lily glances around nervously before responding, "It's nothing, just... school stuff, you know?"

But I don't buy it. "Bull shit, come on, Lily. It's me. You can tell me. And where's Jess? I barely see her around anymore."

Lily sighs, a deep, weary sound. "It's complicated, Vanessa. I... we can't really talk about it here."

The secrecy frustrates me. "Lily, whatever it is, maybe I can help. You look like you're carrying the world on your shoulders."

She looks at me, her eyes filled with a mix of fear and exhaustion. "It's just... Jess isn't herself these days. And it's not just her, it's... other things. Dangerous things."

"Dangerous? Lily, what the hell are you talking about?" My voice rises with concern.

Before she can reply, the bell rings, cutting our conversation short. "Later, okay? I promise I'll explain everything," she says, rushing off.

I'm left standing there, more worried than before. As the day wears on, I can't shake the feeling that Lily is in trouble. After school, I decide to follow her discreetly, hoping to uncover what she's hiding.

Lily meets up with Zoe and a guy I recognize as Zack. They talk in hushed tones, casting nervous glances around. I stay back, trying to pick up bits of their conversation.

"...we have to be careful," Zoe says. "If he finds out we have the book..."

"The book? What book?" I whisper to myself, curiosity piqued.

They soon split up, and I follow Lily. She heads towards the old library, a place that seems darker, somehow more sinister than I remember.

Inside, the air is heavy, the silence oppressive. Lily meets Zack, and they start pulling books from a shelf, searching for something. I can't contain my curiosity any longer.

"Lily, what on earth are you doing?" I burst out, stepping from the shadows.

Lily jumps, startled. "Vanessa! What are you doing here?"

"I followed you. I'm worried about you. What is going on?"

Zack looks at me, then at Lily. "She should know, Lily. She's involved now, just by being here."

Lily bites her lip, then nods. "Okay, but not here. It's not safe."

We retreat to a nearby café, an old haunt of ours. Once seated, Lily takes a deep breath. "It's going to sound crazy, but... Jess, she's changed because she's become something... not human. And there's this book, 'The Bloodbound Necromance.' It's important, and very dangerous."

I listen, stunned, as Lily and Zack explain about vampires, a dark master, and a hidden fight against a threat I can hardly believe is real. Yet the fear in their eyes convinces me.

"So, you're like... vampire hunters?" I ask, half in jest.

"Something like that," Zack says grimly.

"And we need to stop whatever is happening before more people get hurt," Lily adds.

The horror of the situation washes over me. Jess, vampires, a book that controls them—my head spins with the revelation. But one thing is clear: my friends are in this deep, and they need help.