Chapter 10

Lily's POV

It's been six years since the night we thought we had defeated the Master. Six years since Zoe was murdered, and the world, our world, has only darkened since. Crestwood, once a quiet town with hidden horrors, is now a fortress of nightmares openly ruled by the Master, who walks in a body of his own, a body conjured from shadows and despair. Oakley... poor Oakley is somewhere in the dungeons below, a constant reminder of our failure.

Jess, once my friend, now the Master's right hand, is unrecognizable, her humanity stripped away as she enforces his cruel will. The town—our town—is barely recognizable, twisted into a macabre shadow of its former self.

I sit with Zack and Vanessa in the remnants of what was once my home, planning quietly, our voices barely above whispers. "We can't keep going like this," Zack mutters, frustration and fatigue lining his face.

"I know," I reply, the weight of our situation heavy in my voice. "But what can we do? Every time we've tried, we've lost more than we've gained."

Vanessa looks up, her eyes fierce despite the darkness that's settled over us. "We have to try again. For Zoe, for Oakley... for all of us. We can't let this be our end."

Her determination sparks a small flame of hope in me, but it flickers weakly against the overwhelming darkness. "He's too powerful now," I say, despair tugging at my words. "And with Jess and whatever fucking other horrors he's summoned..."

"We need a new plan," Zack interrupts, leaning forward. "Something he won't expect. We know the layout, the dungeons where he's holding Oakley... maybe it's time for a rescue."

Rescuing Oakley feels like grasping at straws, but what other choice do we have? To do nothing would be to surrender completely.

"We'll need to be stealthy, use the catacombs," I suggest, my mind racing through the map of Crestwood etched into my memory. "Get in, free Oakley, and get out before Jess or the Master realize."

Vanessa nods, pulling a small, worn notebook from her pocket. "I've been keeping notes on the guard rotations, the weak spots in their patrols... It's risky, but if we're ever going to break free from this nightmare, we need Oakley. He knew the Master's weaknesses better than anyone."

The horror of what we're about to undertake settles over us. Breaking into the heart of the Master's domain, facing Jess, who was once one of us, and possibly coming face to face with the Master himself—it's enough to make my heart race with fear. But the alternative, living under the shadow of tyranny, is worse.

"We do it tonight," Zack decides, a resolve in his voice that I haven't heard in years. "While the town sleeps, and the shadows are our allies."

As dusk falls, we make our way through the abandoned streets of Crestwood, the echoes of our past haunting every corner. The town is quiet, too quiet, as if holding its breath. As we enter the catacombs through a hidden entrance, the cool, musty air greets us, a stark contrast to the oppressive darkness above.

We navigate the tunnels by memory, the light from our torches casting eerie shadows on the walls. Each step takes us deeper into the heart of darkness, towards a confrontation we might not survive.

Above us, the Master's new world thrives on despair and fear, a world we're determined to shatter. Tonight, the shadows we've been living under will either claim us completely or set us free.

As we approach the dungeon's entrance, the sound of distant chains echoing in the deep, reminding us of what—and who—we're fighting for.. For Crestwood, for our lost friends, and for our very souls, we move forward, into the darkness.

Oakley's POV

The darkness of the dungeon has become my world, the stench of damp stone my constant companion. Each day blends into the next with no sign of release, the weight of my chains a relentless reminder of the Master's control. The pain, both physical and mental, is a constant echo in my weary mind.

I hear footsteps, an uncommon sound in the lonely depths of my prison. I tense, expecting one of the Master's minions, perhaps even Jess, with more commands, more torment. But something is different this time—the footsteps are hurried, and there are whispers.

"Oakley, can you hear me? It's Zack," a familiar voice calls out through the darkness.

I blink, struggling to believe. "Zack? Is that really you?" My voice is hoarse, the sound of it unfamiliar even to me.

"Yes, we're here to get you out," another voice joins, Lily's. The beam of a flashlight cuts through the darkness, momentarily blinding me.

I squint, trying to make out their figures as they approach. They're not alone; Vanessa is with them, her face set in a determined frown as she works on the locks of my chains.

"Jess?" I ask, the name like a shard of ice in my chest.

"She's not with us," Lily replies, her voice heavy. "It's just us, Oakley. We're going to get you out."

The horror of what my freedom could mean, of stepping out into a world ruled by the Master, grips me. "Is it safe? The Master—"

"We have a plan, Oakley. We can't explain everything now. We need to move," Zack interrupts, his voice urgent.

With a final click, my chains fall away. The relief is immediate, but so is the realization of how weak I've become. Vanessa and Zack help me to my feet, supporting my weight between them.

"We need to hurry. The guards could be on us any minute," Vanessa says, glancing nervously down the corridor.

As we navigate the catacombs, each step away from my prison brings a flood of emotions. Relief, fear, and an overwhelming sense of unreality. How long have I dreamed of this moment? How many times had I lost hope?

"We thought we lost you," Lily confesses as we move, her voice breaking with emotion.

"I thought I'd lost myself," I reply, my words choked by the lump in my throat.

The path is confusing, a labyrinth of twists and turns, but Zack leads confidently, having memorized the way. The sound of our footsteps and labored breathing seems unnaturally loud in the silent passages.

Suddenly, a shout echoes behind us—guards. The terror that courses through me is paralyzing, but Zack's grip tightens, pulling me forward.

"Run!" he shouts.

We break into a desperate run, the sounds of our pursuers growing louder. The catacombs seem endless, a maze designed to trap and disorient. Every shadow threatens to burst forth with enemies, every echo could be Jess, twisted and dark, coming to drag me back.

The exit finally comes into view, a distant light that promises freedom but also the unknown horrors of a world under the Master's shadow.

As we emerge into the cool night air, the relief is palpable, but so is the sense of impending danger. We've escaped the dungeon, but not the nightmare.

"We did it, Oakley. You're free," Zack pants, leaning against the wall for support.

Free, yet the horror hasn't ended; it has evolved, grown stronger, and as we prepare to face whatever comes next, I realize that this isn't just a rescue—it's a rebirth into a fight we are far from winning.

"Let's keep moving. We're not safe yet," Vanessa urges, scanning the dark for signs of pursuit.

As we move into the shadows, away from the place of my captivity, the weight of the world settles back onto my shoulders. The battle to reclaim our town, our lives, and our futures from the Master's grip is just beginning. And I, once a prisoner, am now a key player in this fight to turn the tide against the darkness that has consumed Crestwood.

1,266 words