76: A Fresh Start

Sitting on a chair beside the window, the cool breeze fanned Najah's face.

A genuine smile, one that crinkled the corners of her eyes and reached the depths of her soul, graced her lips. Peace, a long-awaited feeling, had finally embraced her. Gone were the nights choked by silent tears and the suffocating loneliness that had become a constant companion to her.

Back then, her world had shrunk in the confines of her failing marriage. Now, that she was finally free from the prison, it felt extremely good. The saying 'You don't know what you have until you lose it' is true, but it is also true that 'You don't know what you have been missing until it arrives.' And Najah resonated more with the latter.

Although she couldn't deny the sleepless nights spent thinking about Jameel, the bittersweet memories they created together, and the possibility of them ever getting back together, she was glad the divorce happened. This newfound peace, the freedom from the toxicity was all worth it. It was a gift she cherished.

She deserved this peace. It was a reminder of the strength she possessed. Walking away from that marriage was one of the best decisions she had ever taken for herself. She had chosen to move forward. Not because her love for Jameel had died, but out of newfound love for herself.

And did she regret it? No, there was no regret. Only the quiet hum of contentment, and a brighter future.

"Najah!" Hajiya's voice, warm and familiar, resounded from outside the house.

"Oh, she is back!" She muttered, a smiling curling up her lips.

Rising quickly, she sprinted out of the room, nearly colliding with the door in her haste.

Hajiya's hospitality even after her divorce with her son was something that would never cease to amaze her. Indeed, she was one of a kind. Her unwavering support was a debt Najah would never be able to repay. She had felt some type of way about having to live with her ex husband's mother but not anymore. Hajiya had made it extremely comfortable for her. The love and respect she harbored for this extraordinary woman could never be overemphasized.

Reaching the door, Najah threw it open; the smile never leaving her face. "Welcome back, Hajiya?" She exclaimed, gathering the bags Hajiya was holding. "It has only been a day since you left for your friend's daughter's wedding and I've missed you so much. How was the ceremony?"

"It was lovely, my dear," she replied, walking into the house. "I'm so tired."

"You should freshen up and have some rest," Najah said, guiding her towards the hallway. "I will bring your food to you room. I also have good news for you." Najah announced excitedly.

Hajiya's eyes sparkled a little. "What is it?"

"Don't worry about it," Najah winked. "I will tell you about it later. You will be so happy for me."

Hajiya nodded. "Please don't forget to bring the bags when coming. The red one is a souvenir for you."

"Awww! Thanks, Hajiya. You didn't forget me."

"Can I even?" She countered, playfully. "When you kept calling me a hundred times. I thought my phone was going to blow up." 

"You don't know how lonely it was staying here without you."

"I can imagine."

The metallic tray clinked softly as Najah arranged Hajiya's food on it. Anticipation bubbled in her chest, a mix of excitement and nervousness about the news she was about to share. How would Hajiya React? Would she be excited for her? Would she support her? Despite the uncertainty, she still believed strongly that Hajiya would not have a problem with it.