25. Darkside.

Cross my heart and hope to die
Welcome to my dark side
Ooh, to my dark, dark, dark side

___________________________________________

Siya

In the heat of anger, I stormed into my department, settling into my seat with a slam. I rested my hands on my desk, and covered my face. Slowly, I began to take deep breaths, attempting to calm myself.

After a while, when I regained my composure, I turned on my laptop and started working. However, merely immersing myself in work wasn't enough to quell the thoughts swirling in my mind, haunting me relentlessly.

"Hey Siya," I heard someone call out behind me. I turned around to see Karan standing there. I just smiled at him.

I knew it was a fake smile, but what else could I do? I wasn't feeling great at the moment.

"Siya, everything okay?" he asked, his concern evident in his voice.

"Yeah, everything's fine," I replied, mustering another smile. I knew Karan was a really nice guy. I've never felt any negative vibes around him. He's like a comfort zone that's always there when I'm with him.

"Siya, have you seen Ryan?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern. "I heard you went to meet him. But when I went there, he wasn't there." His troubled expression hinted at a deeper worry, although it was unclear what exactly was bothering him. As I listened to his words, I found myself lost in thought, contemplating the enigmatic situation. This was supposed to be a work-related matter. Maybe well I don't know.

"Siya, Siya, have you seen Mr. Ryan?" Nayan rushed over to me, his voice filled with urgency.

What's happening? Why is everyone asking me the same thing?

"Where did you disappear to?" Nayan nudged me.

"Nowhere," I replied tersely.

"Then tell me, where is Mr. Ryan?" he asked again, his tone becoming more insistent.

What's gotten into everyone? Why are they all asking me where Ryan went? Instead of wasting time here with me, they could actually try to find him. But no, they're all lazy, every single one of them. Do I have to be the one to finally figure out where he went?

"You're lost again. Siya, did you see Mr. Ryan?" he asked once more, and this time, I felt anger rising within me.

"Haah, jahannum mein," I snapped, then turned and stormed away.

Meanwhile, on the other side, Karan and the others in the department were shocked to hear my response.

________________________

I had just stepped out of my department and was making my way straight to the parking area. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I muttered to myself, "It was such a struggle to finally get into the groove of work, but nobody seems to appreciate my peace. Here they come, chanting 'Where is Ryan? Where is Ryan?'" With a hint of frustration in my voice, I turned and headed towards the coffee area.

With no one in sight at the coffee area, I let out a sigh of relief before heading over to make myself a cup of coffee. Seating myself on a stool by the counter, I took a sip of my freshly brewed drink.

Just as the warm liquid touched my lips, a thought crossed my mind.

Speaking aloud to myself, I mused, "Seriously, where could Ostrich have gone? He was just in his cabin, buried under heaps of work. Where on earth could he have disappeared to?" The tone of my voice betrayed a mix of curiosity and frustration as I contemplated the mysterious disappearance of an ostrich.