chapter two

"embarrassment and reunions"

LAYLA WOKE UP TO THE MUFFLED SOUND OF HER PAGER BEEPING with an exaggerated groan she threw her hands around looking for it, finding it under her ass. She wiped the drool from her cheek, checking the page, it was from another intern.

She rolled her eyes, choosing to ignore it and got up from the on-call room bed that she crashed out on what felt like only a few hours ago.

Her first day was brutal, don't get her wrong, she met a lot of great people, and learned from the best surgeons but they were running her ragged, one of the Attendings, Sloan, made her get him a cup of coffee...who does that! but it was nothing she couldn't handle.

The dreadful sound of her pager started again only this time from an Attending. "So much for ignoring it" Layla whispered leaving the comfort of the on-call room.

...

"What do you need? Another coffee?" Layla asked when she saw who paged her—Sloan let out a chuckle "are you willing to get me another one?" The intern squinted her eyes with a fake smile "no. I'm not. I'm here to, I don't know, learn! Not catch you you're morning coffee!" She practically yelled at the Attending, running her hands through her hair.

Layla tends to get easily... irritated when she doesn't get enough sleep, which in these past 8 days of being in Seattle she has not, between the constant banging and coffee runs, she only managed to get maybe a good 4 hours of sleep in a bunk bed.

"Aren't you bitchy." Mark laughed again "I just want you to run a few labs and then you're free of me." he stated handing her the charts and walking away.

"I hate Attendings!." She shouted louder than she meant too, earning glances from around the room she was standing in.

"Yeah, me too." she heard an unexpected voice say from behind her, she knew that voice all too well—it belonged to her childhood best friend whom she hadn't seen in years. She slowly turned around treading softly, sort of scared to look at him.

"Alex.." she whispered looking at the sight before her, her best friend was just..there like nothing ever happened, like he never left. Shocked wasn't even the term she could use to describe how she felt in that moment.

"No freaking way." Alex uttered taking in the woman who just turned to face him, Layla freaking Tate, was standing there, in the hospital he worked at, as an intern. He was relieved that she was okay, that she made it through everything but stunned by the fact that his best friend stood before him, he never thought he'd lie eyes on her ever again.