chapter three

"drinking and scrubbing in"

"YOU KNOW YOU SUCK AT HIDING YOUR RELATIONSHIP, RIGHT?" Layla asked sitting down next to Lexie, suppressing a smile.

The younger Grey faked a laugh throwing a french fry at the brunette "shut up, it's not like you're any better. You practically trip over air every time Arizona passes by you."

"Ow!" Layla dramatically complained "you assaulted me with a french fry." Lexie gave her a jokingly evil eye "next time it'll be the whole burger."

"Try me." Layla taunted stealing a french fry from Lexie's plate just as Lexie's pager went off.

Layla let out a snicker "is that who I think it isss." she smiled drawing out the S while wiggling her eyebrows.

Lexie pointed a finger at her, getting up from her chair "duty calls" and when the Grey girl was walking away Layla couldn't help herself from laughing "yeah, with Mark."

"heard that!"

...

"Tate!" Webber called out from his position at the white board, causing Layla to look up from the random charts she was reading trying to make it seem like she was doing something.

"Yes chief?" She asked making her way towards him with a polite smile "I just wanted to let you know, since you've decided on your specialty already, I decided to assign you to peds for the next month, to make sure that it's really want you want to do."

She let out a nervous chuckle "Yeah, cool, cool, cool, cool, that's cool."

"You okay with that?" Webber asked the brunette with slight concern, Layla waved her hand "totally" she said trying her best not to sound nervous "Well. Good. There's a patient and Dr. Robbins will probably page for you in any second." Webber told her, writing her name on the bored next to Arizona's, Layla smiled excusing herself waiting on the page.

She knew why she was nervous but she didn't know why she was this nervous, she had only talked to Arizona once, and saw her around the hospital, nothing happened between them for her to be this nervous about working besides her.

And speak of the devil she thought when her pager started to beep.

Layla quickly jogged down to the pediatric wing, where Arizona handed her a chart "13 year old boy with severe stomach pains and bruising. Tell me before we get in there, what do you think it is?" Dr. Robbins asked catching Layla slightly off guard

"Uh.. pancreatitis?" the intern asked hoping she was correct and by the pleased look on Arizonas face she knew she was.

"Good job." She softly said opening the sliding glass door to the patients room "please, present his case." Dr. Robbins spoke singling that the floor was all hers.

"Andrew Thompson, age 13, admitted because of stomach pains, swelling, and bruising, later getting diagnosed with pancreatitis, meaning Dr. Robbins will have to do surgery." Layla finished with a smile looking towards Arizona for approval which she earned, Arizona was watching her talk the entire time, how her face softened as she tried to explain his own case to him, how she had a tight grip on the chart, and that she memorized it in a matter of minutes, Arizona was in awe.