Chapter 13: envy

(a/n: I'm tryna wrap this up because I am SO excited to do the third book... sorry if it feels a little rushed..)

Minho entered the hut, not letting me think about what Gally had just said, did he really mean that?

"Hey Meimei, come, I've got something to show you guys." Thomas was behind him smiling at me.

As we walked to the map room, an awkward silence filled the air. There was nothing to talk about, no more fun to have, everything was really changing.

Minho opened the door and pulled off the sheet of cloth, covering the neatly arranged sticks, forming a maze.

"What..."
"It's the maze," Minho explained, no longer having that soft joking tone in his voice. "All of it."

I was confused, "What do you mean.. "all of it"? I thought you were still mapping it." was there really no way out?

"There's nothing left to map. I've run every inch of it myself. Every cycle. Every pattern."

As I looked into his eyes, I felt myself slipping, everything around me a blur,

Minho's revelation hit me like a ton of bricks. All this time, I'd been living in hope that there was a way out, that we were just a step away from freedom. But his words shattered that illusion.

"What do you mean there's nothing left to map?" I asked, my voice trembling. "Are you saying there's no way out?"

Minho's expression was grave. "I've explored every possible path, every corner. There's no exit. We're trapped."

My heart sank. The enormity of our situation crashed down on me. We were stuck in this maze, with no way out. The silence in the room was deafening, the weight of our reality pressing down on us.

Thomas stepped forward, his voice filled with determination. "We can't give up hope. There has to be a way out, we just haven't found it yet."

I wanted to believe him, to hold on to that glimmer of hope. But Minho's words echoed in my mind, casting a shadow over any optimism.

"But maybe now... we have a real chance," he sounded optimistic, I knew we couldn't just give up yet. We had to try, especially when we had just found something they hadn't in 3 whole years.

The door opened. It was Jeff and Clint.

"Hey! What are you guys doing? You're not allowed in here." Minho quickly covered the maze with a sheet of cloth.

"Sorry, it's just the... It's the girl."

"Is she awake?" Thomas asked, concerned.

"We better get going then." I rushed out the door to where Jeff said she was.

"Chuck, what's going on?" I tapped the boy, who was laughing, amused at something.

"Girls are awesome." he giggled.