never

One AM.

The doorbell rang, Sasha was an extremely heavy sleeper and you were closer to the front door so you knew you'd have to answer it. You groaned as you got out of bed in your light blue shorts and white tank top, you put on your slippers and walked to the door.

You checked the peephole and saw Eren standing outside your door. You were confused but unlocked the door and opened it before rubbing your eyes.

"Can I work on the car?" He asked the moment the door opened and you were far too tired to even reply so you just nodded your head.

When you stopped rubbing your eyes, you saw his bruised face and looked away from him quickly. You couldn't believe Connie would take you to see his friend get beat up for money, risk his life for money. You walked forward and shut the door after yourself to head to the garage, you stood in the driveway and input the code into the keypad to open up the garage door for him.

It was so late out, all you could hear was the sound of the waves nearby on the beach. The garage door opened and you walked ahead to turn the light on, Eren entered and set his toolbox down in front of the car before popping open the hood of the car.

You flipped the light on for him and turned back around, you couldn't help but look at his face when he was right in front of you. This wasn't right...there was nobody who could've thought this was right yet he was doing it anyway. You wanted to know why...it had to be about more than just money.

"Why do you do this to yourself?" You questioned with your arms folded over your chest as you moved closer to him by the front of the car.

"I already told you why, money." He answered and did something with the parts of the car, not even looking at you.

"What's wrong with a regular job?"

"You tell me what job will give me three thousand dollars for an hour of work and I'll quit boxing right now." He stood in front of you and looked right into your eyes with his own bruised and swollen ones.

"Your life is worth three thousand dollars?" You questioned with a little more provocation in your tone than you meant to have.

He didn't say anything for a moment, he just looked at you and then looked away from you. You thought you may have upset him and to be fair none of this was your business, you practically just met him yet you were acting as if he was any concern of yours at all. Truth be told, you just couldn't look at him when he looked like that.

"What difference does it make to you?" He questioned and turned his head to look at you as he turned around and leaned against the car.

"It doesn't make any difference to me at all but I think that I'm a good person...and I care." You replied after a minute of silence, trying to figure out why you did care. You looked at him, with his bruised face and deadpan expression.

"You must be a really good person then if you give a shit about someone you don't even know." He mutters and looks ahead, the sky ahead is dark and the street is quiet, and even in this darker moment, you feel content.

You didn't know what to say to that so you just stood there, you waited to see if he was going to say anything else but he didn't.

"Do your parents know?" You asked, wondering how any parent could see their child like this and agree with it.

"No." He responds coldly.

"Then how do you see them when your face is always bruised and beaten up?" You asked, you didn't have to question him so much but something about him made you so curious you just had to ask every question you had.