ninety-three

January 24th, 1979
Wednesday

"An hour Remus." Sirius reminded and Remus nodded,
"I know. I won't even need an hour, the portkey goes into the house. They never leave. I'll be in and out." Remus promised and Sirius hugged him.

"See you."

Remus grabbed the portkey as it began to shake and he landed on his feet cleanly. After years of using a portkey it felt just like jumping between two terrains. Remus found apparating just as easy, hed learnt it from a young age ao it was all just second nature.

The floorboards creaked under him as he turned in a circle, surveying the living room.

It was empty.

Remus placed down the mug that was the portkey. It had an hour timer. If Remus didn't get back in the hour and the mug went back to Sirius without him then within minutes the grounds would flood with Aurors and Remus would be in danger.

He knew places to hide all over. He knew this place like the back of his hand.

There was a hole beneath one of the other buildings that could be accessed via faulty wood on the foundation.
When Remus first came here Magnolia showed him a few of her hiding spots; a trap door under her bed and in tbe kitchen cupboards by the sink there was a tunnel the lead out of the compound entirely which Remus would have paid mind to if he was a whole foot shorter.

Remus had a few of his own but only one was okay enough.

In the cellar, if given enough force, the wall the manacles were attached to would give way. It was easily put back and it was a good hiding spot but Remus prayed he wouldn't have to use it. It wasn't nice back there. There was a crack under the wall and Remus had bled alot in the room.

It didn't smell pretty and the stench was definitely able to catch attention.

If it came to it, Remus knew the way to the nearby town but he ran risk of getting caught. Or killed. If he was taken in there was the opportunity he'd be released under Minchums rule but it wasn't guaranteed. The pair hadn't met for their meeting yet.

But if he was killed..

Remus shivered at the thought and he shook. his head clear.

It wouldn't happen. Remus would be in and out.

He searched the downstairs first. Harlow often sat around in the drawing room but she wasn't in there.

While be was in there he went through the desk at the window, careful to keeo couched so he wouldn't be seen through it. He was quiet as he shuffled through the draws for anything useful.

Nothing.

But he did find a crayon drawing Remus had made when he was younger. Him, Harlow and Fenrir. As a family. A hapoy family. Happy.

Remus though Fenrir had thrown it out.

He felt a pull in his chest.

Hed kept it. Fenrir had kept it.

In that moment, even after all the terrible things he'd done to Remus, Remus felt thankful for Fenrir Greyback. He had raised Remus, albeit poorly but he'd raised him nonetheless.

Remus took the drawing and he folded it and put it into his pocket and he stood and left the drawing room.

No one was upstairs either.

Remus went into his room, Magnolia had taken the stuff she said she was going go. The matress amd the pillows but she'd taken other things aswell. Remus didn't blame her, he'd left.