ninety-four

February 22nd, 1979
Thursday

"I guess I just don't understand." Remus huffed and Mary tilted her head, baffled.
"What do you mean you don't understand?"
"I mean I don't understand."
"Remus it's Blackjack! Its literally one od the most simplest card games to understand out there." Lily reiterated for the billionth time and Remus flushed red, "You start with two cards and then we, well I, ask you if you want to skip or pick up and you aim to get 21 or as close as possible but if you go over its a bust and you automatically lose. It's literally so simple."
"Byt why 21, what's the reason?" Remus groaned and Mary threw her cards in the air,
"Merlin I give up." She huffed and Remus gave her an apologetic look.
"If it makes you feel any better I have no. idea how to play Gobstones and Wizards chess- or just chess in general." Remus told her and she looked at him with a sharp glare that morphed into a hapoy smile,

"Im. not actually upset Remus, I was just messing with you." Mary said and she leaned towards him, "Sirius mentioned you know how to fly a broom."

"Uh yeah?"
"Oh James is going to be chuffed!" Lily cheered.

Remus held the bat and he stared at it with a disgusted look.

"No way mate." Remus tried to put the bat back into James' hand, "I don't want to- no."
"But we need another beater amd you have a more aggressive nature then Mary." James pleaded, not noticing how Remus flinched at his words, "Please Remus-"
"I'll switch with him." Emmeline spoke up and she reached to take the bat.

"I meant I don't-"

The robes Remus had been forced into simmered from purple to green and Sirius lit up,
"Oh yes! He's on our team!" Sirius called and Remus gave him a blank look.

It wasn't that he didn't want to be a beater, he meant he didn't want to play Quidditch at all.

Sirius pulled him to his side and hung onto. his arm.

"Okay, you're a Keeper now Remus." James said and Remus looked down at Sirius,
"Aren't you Keeper?"
"Not if Emmelines a beater. Did you ever watch a Quidditch game at school Remus?" Sirius asked ans Remus raised a brow, as if asking if Sirius was being serious and the black haired boy laughed nervously.
"Oh right. Anyway, team talks." Sirius called and the two teams separated.

There was Team Potter and Team Black.

Creative names, Remu thought.

Team Potter consisted of James and Lily as chasers, Amelia Bones as Seeker, Emmeline and another person Remus didn't know as Beaters and Peter as Keeper.

Team Potter had Dorcas and Emma Vanity as Beaters, Remus was the Keeper, Sirius and some other boy as Chasers. And Kingsley Shacklebolt as their seeker.

Mary was the commentator.

"First things first, Remus this is the lovely Edgar Bones." Sirius introduced the brunette who smiled wide a Remus,
"Great to finally meet you." Edgar profused and he grabbed Remus' hand and shook it,
"Uh yeah...you too." He took his hand back, "How'd you get Shacklebolt to play?" Remus asked Sirius. Edgar didn't seem hurt by the dismissal.

"He just loves me" Sirius hummed proudly,
"He bribed me." Shacklebolt informed and Remus nodded,
"That makes sense."

"Okay, game talk now. A few of you aren't Quidditch players or have never played quidditch but its okay because they have Lily and she's disastrous on a broom." Sirius told them, "Kingsley I know you've got a good eye so that's why you're the seeker and Bones and Vanity, please be good."
"I played quidditch in school you dick!" Emma knocked Sirius upside the head and and he laughed,
"I know. Im just messing around."