Chapter Eleven

It was the final day of the school year and Summer couldn't wait for the weekend. The summer break was almost in reach and relaxation was just around the corner. But first, Summer and some of the other staff had to power through one more event - the elementary children's disco. It was six-thirty on a Friday evening and rather than sipping wine with Alana and Levi she was still at work volunteering for something that she wasn't going to be paid for. And she was trying not to focus on the fact that a couple of the volunteers had failed to show up and now she was short on helpers which meant that there would be even more work to do. But it was all for the kids, right? As they hung the last balloon banner and poured chips into various bowls the children began to arrive.

There was no denying that they looked adorable all dressed up in little suits and dressed and Summer couldn't seem to stop a smile from forming on her face when children from her class began to show up.

They all greeted her with chirpy voices and expressed their excitement for the dancing and the music. And when she saw one child in particular her mood lifted even higher as her eyes settled on the man who had brought him to the party.

Lucas stood in the doorway of the gymnasium with his hands shoved in his pockets and his six-year-old nephew standing by his side. He looked around taking in the scene and Summer found herself watching him as he did. He hadn't yet seen her and she was wondering if it was her he was looking for and when his gaze finally found her, she could tell that the answer was definitely a yes.

"Cool party," he said as he approached her.

"Thanks, it didn't turn out too bad with only two hours of work."

"You did this?"

She nodded. "I had a little help but it was kinda my idea. These kids deserve an end-of-year party, they've all worked so hard."

"I think their teachers probably deserve a party more than they do."

"You're not wrong. So hey, how come you brought Charlie tonight?"

"Charlotte's stuck at work so she asked me to help him get ready and bring him here. And I couldn't say no, he was lookin' forward to showin' off his dance moves."

"Is that the only reason you're here?" She asked with a furrowed brow and feeling like he could have simply dropped Charlie off at the door and turned to leave but didn't.

He let out a small chuckle. "I figured this is where you'd be since you didn't answer my text about gettin' pizza..." Heat instantly rose to her cheeks and she turned away from him knowing that wasn't the time nor place to talk about those things. "But that's not why I'm here," he quickly added.

"Well since you are here, we're short on a couple of volunteers. Would you mind staying? Just for an hour?"

She could tell that he wanted to say no but she wasn't going to let him get out of it that easy. "Summer break starts tomorrow, so...." She stood on her tiptoes and whispered into his ear. "We can have pizza all you want."

He grinned from ear to ear and Summer could tell that he was about to say something in return but stopped himself after remembering where he was. He cleared his throat and then shuffled uncomfortably from one foot to the other. "When do you head off to camp?"

"In two weeks," she stated. 

"Got any plans from now until then?"

She shook her head. "What are your plans?"

"Work."

"That it?"

He shrugged. "I don't really take time off. Wouldn't know what to do if I did."