Chapter 3 - Premonition Dream

Ao's eyes snapped open. He jolted upright, startled to find himself no longer in his bed. Instead, he was sprawled on a grassy plain, a single figure standing before him. The person exuded an air of mystery, clad in a black suit accented with white and adorned with a masquerade mask. As Ao cautiously approached, the figure suddenly spoke, a whisper brushing against his ear, "You left him alone."

Ao bolted upright, gasping for breath. "What was that dream?" he muttered, oblivious to its potential premonition. After calming himself, he took a few deep breaths to steady his racing heart. With a lingering unease, he rose from bed and began his day's preparations. He got dressed and headed straight for the kitchen, eager to share his culinary skills. Today's lesson for the manor cooks? The art of making delicious karaage.

As Ao instructed the cooks, he scanned their faces for any signs of difficulty mastering the technique to make karaage. While some followed his directions with ease, others stumbled a bit. He patiently assisted each one, their progress unfolding under his watchful eye.

Suddenly, Eirene, piqued by curiosity, entered the kitchen. She approached Ao and, leaning in closer than he anticipated, asked, "What's on the menu today, Ao?" Her face was mere inches from his. Startled, Ao stammered, "W-We're attempting karaage today," his voice muffled slightly as he self-consciously covered his face with his hand.

Eirene, flustered, realized how close she stood to Ao. A blush bloomed across her cheeks as she quickly regained her composure. "May I try a piece?" she inquired.

Ao readily agreed, nodding. He carefully selected a few golden-brown karaage pieces and arranged them on a plate for Eirene. Her eyes sparkled with delight as she took in the appetizing aroma. Eagerly, she picked up a piece and took a bite. A burst of flavor flooded her mouth as the juicy chicken released its essence. The tenderness of the meat paired perfectly with the crispy coating, sending a wave of pleasure through her taste buds. Eirene moaned in delight, her eyes widening with each delicious bite. "This is incredible, Ao!" she exclaimed, her voice muffled slightly by the food. "The juiciness and tenderness are perfect!"

Charles, standing nearby, cleared his throat. "My lady," he said gently, "manners, please."

A flustered Eirene realized she'd gotten carried away. "Oh, my apologies!" she stammered, a blush creeping up her cheeks. 

After the successful tasting session and teaching the cooks his karaage expertise, Ao decided to take a well-deserved break. He strolled through the manor's gardens for several minutes when an unsettling event occurred. A swirling cloud of dust, an eerie dark purple, materialized before him. As it brushed against his skin, a jarring displacement ripped him from his surroundings.

Disoriented, Ao blinked and sat still, momentarily blinded by a flash of dazzling lights. Recovering his sight, he cautiously approached the source – a cluster of vibrant lights beckoning in the distance. Upon crossing the threshold of light, he found himself atop a windswept hill. His breath caught in his throat as he noticed a solitary figure standing before him – a woman veiled in shadow, her form shrouded in mystery.

As Ao continued to stare, the woman gracefully approached him and extended her hand. "You've finally arrived," she said in a voice that sent shivers down his spine. Ao, still shaken by the enigmatic woman, hesitantly reached out his own hand. "W-where am I?" he stammered.

A hint of a smile played on the woman's lips. "This," she declared, gesturing towards the vast landscape, "is the Whispering Glade."

Unable to resist the beckoning landscape, Ao rose to his feet and cautiously approached the cliff's edge. The dazzling starlight that had initially obscured his vision gradually dimmed, revealing the breathtaking panorama before him. A gasp escaped his lips. The Whispering Glade unfolded like a gentle haven, bathed in the ethereal glow of twilight. The air shimmered with an otherworldly luminescence, casting long, dreamlike shadows across the land.

"Woah what a beautiful place is this, but what is this place actually?" Ao asked while he's still adoring the place. "this is where we transcendental being live" the woman replies, "woah..." still in awe with his surroundings. then he regain his calm and ask "so what do you mean by i finally arrived?", "i was waiting and waiting for you to come here" the woman replies. "i also have something to tell you" the woman said, "what is it miss?" he replies.

The woman enveloped Ao in a hug, her voice thick with sobs. "I'm so sorry about your parents," she choked out. "I failed them. I should have warned your mother sooner, but I was too late." Ao stood frozen, bewildered by her words.

Pulling back slightly, the woman's form shimmered faintly. "It seems this is where I must leave you," she whispered, a single tear tracing a path down her cheek. "As a token of my apology, please accept this." She cupped Ao's face, her forehead brushing against his. "I pray our paths may cross again," she murmured, a faint light emanating from the point of contact.

Then, with a final flicker, the woman vanished. Ao jolted upright, gasping for breath. "What... what just happened?" he stammered, a heavy weight pressing on his chest. He glanced around, his eyes falling on Eirene nestled peacefully on his chest, fast asleep.

Ao gently shook Eirene. "My lady..."

Her eyes fluttered open, revealing a worried glint. Relief flooded her features as she focused on Ao. "Ao...! What happened? I've been waiting for you to wake up." Her voice trembled slightly.

"My apologies, my lady," Ao replied, a hint of unease lingering in his voice. "Something strange happened while I was in the garden... a dream perhaps." He trailed off, his brow furrowed in thought.

Eirene reached out, her touch feather-light, brushing a stray strand of hair from his forehead. "Are you alright? Someone told me you were found collapsed in the garden." Tears welled up in her eyes again.

Ao squeezed her hand gently. "I'm fine now, don't worry. How long was I unconscious?"

"It's been two days," Eirene said, her voice barely a whisper.

Ao's eyes widened in surprise. "Two days? My apologies, my lady. I've been absent from my duties for so long."

Eirene offered a weak smile. "Don't worry about that. At least I know you're alright now."

With a gentle bow, she excused herself and left the room.

Charles soon entered, his gaze lingering on Ao for a moment. "I think you need to cheer her up, She's been by your side ever since you first fell unconscious" he said. "No wonder why she looks so weak." He spoke the last part in a hushed tone, almost to himself.

Ao nodded, a determined glint in his eyes. "Sure, I will repay her kindness."

He headed straight for the kitchen, a plan forming in his mind. With practiced ease, he prepared an assortment of delicious desserts – a decadent tiramisu and a silky smooth pudding. Carefully arranging them on a plate, he made his way to Eirene's room, a small token of his gratitude for her staying beside him when Ao unconscious.