TWO

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

chapter two.
❛ enjoy the silence  ❜

Twenty seven, the number of days it had been since Jane Miller left the confines of vault 49. The number of days she had been getting by on little to no water and rationing her small food supply from within her back pack. She hadn't come across any other signs of life yet other than creatures. Creatures that weren't particularly friendly towards her.

She had managed to camp out in several abandoned and slightly broken homes from the pre-war times. She was sure they would have been quite nice if it wasn't for the blown out windows, crumbling walls and shattered memories that she felt whenever she entered a new broken building.

Even if this place was all filled with little to nothing, it didn't take anything away from the sickening beauty of it all. When the sun set Jane thought it was definitely the most gorgeous thing she had ever seen in her entire life. The colours of yellow, orange and pink filled the cloudless skies.

The projections of vault 49 never showed a sunset. The main thoughts that Jane had swelled on her family. She wished her parents could be here with her to see the sunsets. They would have loved them too. She was sure that everyone from her home vault would have loved them.

Jane's body still adorned the dark blue and yellow jumpsuit of her vault. Living as a constant reminder that everything had changed and that nothing would ever be the same again. It was saddening but change was natural part of life.

Her body was covered in a mix of sweat, sand and dirt. Jane herself looked more like one of the raiders that had attacked her now more than ever. She hadn't showed in over three weeks. Often she found her greasy hair sticking to her sweaty forehead.

The main activity she took part in nowadays was walking. For miles and miles she would move through the wasteland hoping to find a small, and hopefully friendly settlement or city. But she had yet to be that lucky.

When the sunset show was over Jane sighed to herself and pulled out the thin blanket around the edge of her bag. She placed it around her and huddled into the corner of the wall behind her. Shutting her eyes to fall into a deep slumber. Her mind could finally rest for a few hours before the new day dawned over the horizon.

However it was diffrent this time. She didn't awake to the bright sun low in the sky. She awoke to the sound of bustling and talking all around her. Forcefully opening her eyes she was met with the end of a gun to her forehead.

"Well hello little girl." The man holding the gun said. He was rather tall and also filthy and held a toothpick between his mouth.

"What's a little girl like you doing out here all alone?" Another man spoke. There were so many of them crowded into the small room. They all held weapons, mostly guns or knives and for some reason they kept on calling her little girl. Jane hated it. Her heart beat out of her chest.

"She'd sell a hearty price, just look at those big bright eyes!" A new man said and laughed to himself as he did so. "Or maybe we could just have are turns on it."

"I'm not an 'it'." Jane hated being talked about like an object. Like she wasn't even present in the room. Unconsciously she blurted the words from her mouth and instantly regretted ever speaking them.