An Even Scale

They summoned more than just the head counselors for a meeting and on the walk into the room it became clear that no one knew what it was for.  Maddie found Cassidy's arm as they walked and she tugged her back, the two of them allowed others to pass in front of them.  "The weirdest thing happened this morning," she whispered.

  Cassidy turned to her mischief weaved into her smile, "What?"

  "Did you know Matt could dance?"

  She snorted, "Is that the weirdest part?"

  She pressed her lips together, as if to force herself against letting the full details of the morning slip.  The feeling. . . she blanked on how she explained it without seeming like an idiot.  Her tears had come from frustration, the inability to sleep after mass bloodshed, and sheer exhaustion.  It was stupid and the energy she had after their encounter was even stupider.  "Mmm, I'll tell you later.  That is, if you come out of hiding."

  "I wasn't hiding," she objected.

  Maddie blinked, "Don't lie to my face."

  "Fine, come on."  They walked towards the door, only to be stopped immediately.  

  Due to her luck, it only made sense that it was Matt standing in front of the door.  "Ladies," he grinned, though it was shadowed with something hard to decipher.  "I just wanted to warn you that Amy is in there."

  Cassidy breathed, "Shit."

  "Yeah," Maddied agreed.

  "You don't need to go in there," he offered, likely well aware that neither of them cared as he stepped to the side and opened the door for them.  "I'll be behind you."

  They were the last to step in the crowded room and found spots against the wall, standing close.  Amy looked strange from the chair she sat in, her wrist and ankles bound.  Her shoulders were slumped, eyes dim, she held no divine godliness in her blood.  If she didn't know better, she'd guess the girl to be a mortal college student.

  The contrast from Amy's dull mortal appearance to the way Zoe simply existed standing next to her chair was a shock.  Zoe's arms were crossed, her eyes were sharp, and the power radiating off of her was overwhelming.  "We are all here," she announced, noting them even in the farthest corner.

  Amy seemed to sink farther into the chair, "I didn't expect this big of an audience."

  "Hmm," her head tilted to the side, "When you attempt to kill us, we prefer to have everyone decide weather you are a threat or not."

  She clicked her tongue, "Valid, though they tried to kill me too."  Her head turned to Zoe, "You just kick me off the roof."

  A loose shrug, "I saved you."

  "Out of curiosity." 

  "So you're ungrateful?"

  Issac cleared his throat with a pointed look at both of them from across the table, "I believe you two have a story to tell us."

  "We do," Zoe stalked over to an empty chair next to Amy, lounging back in it.  Andy, who was standing against the wall stepped forward, if only to be close behind her.  He was bleeding for one reason or another, the hand he rested on Zoe's shoulder was tinted violet with bruises.  Maddie had seen odder things from her brother before, but she would still request details of whatever happened later.

  Amy sighed and began to speak.  "Two years ago, Kronos tried to take my mind over more.  He attempted to take away my conscious entirely and it worked, until he made me stab Zoe."  A scoff from Z led her to roll her eyes before continuing.  "I may be a bad person, but I'd never do that to someone, even someone I was trying to kill.  I would've slit her throat or stabbed her heart.  I prefer clean kills over suffering."