We had been poring over my biology since we had gotten back, Mr Andrew helping me in the topics that I wasn't good at. He turned to the last page of the cell division and I felt relieved, my head pounding with a renewed headache. Despite my eyes feeling heavy, I kept my head propped up with the palm of my hand. I noticed the vigor and excitement that glinted in his eyes as he turned to me,

"Do you understand it now so that we can move to the next topic?"

I nodded and I watched him flip the page, obviously enjoying going through this while I was forcing myself through the load of information that I was trying to swallow down.

Did he ever want to become a librarian?

The familiar reluctance filled me but I pushed it aside.

"Did you ever want to become a librarian?"

The question brought him out of the excitement, his hand hovering over the page.

"No. I've-" he cut himself short before sighing.

"I've always wanted to become a doctor but after I ran away, I dropped out of school and so I couldn't do it." He said, barely able to conceal the regret from his voice.

"I only have myself to blame for that though." A sad smile curled on his lips and I looked away.

"A birdie tells me you don't want to study medicine?"

I shook my head before biting my lips.

"I-" I cut myself off but decided against the urge to keep quiet. "I wanted to become a writer but mummy didn't approve, saying that I would be walking my way into poverty. Besides, I don't even think I was that good anyway." I rubbed my wrist, avoiding his eyes as I tried not to think about how uncertain the future was.

"Go for it."

"Go for writing?"

He nodded. From the amount of backlash and ridicule that I had received, writing had become something I had decided was not for me.

"I don't know anymore. I just.... I can't see myself doing it. I wouldn't say medcine isn't difficult but it's more stable, financially stable. Something mummy always wanted me to be...." I trailed off as I remembered the odd jobs that my mom had to do when I was little. Jobs that would sometimes lead her to return with cuts and bruises, her smile forced as she would usually stagger into the house. The lump rose in my throat again.

"I don't blame her though, she was just deciding what was best for me."

"Yeah that's completely understandable," he nodded. "But at the end of the day, you're the one who would live your life. You shouldn't allow others to dictate what you should do."

"While I was growing up, my parents and I never really got along with whatever neighbors we had in the state we moved to. Our obsession with collecting had always turned them off and then we were never a conventional family. Moving so much taught me a lot and one thing I had learned was that changing for anyone was no good because if I changed for a group of people in this state then I moved again in three months time, I  would gradually begin to lose contact with myself." He explained, tapping the table.

"I just think you should do what you want. Because at the end of the day, you'd still live your life by yourself."

I nodded and gave him a small smile but the interaction was broken  when a knock rattled the door. We shared a look and Mr Andrew told me to remain seated as he ventured to the door. He unlocked it before wrenching it open.

"Good evening." I sat up straight on seeing Pastor Chris, already knowing why he was here.

"So, what did he say?" I questioned as soon as he sat down.

"Zara..."

I could feel Mr Andrew's burning gaze but I couldn't care less. Pastor Chris adjusted his vest and squared his shoulders. My heart beat faster as my hands suddenly became clammy once again.

"The only way to stop the entity is by burning the woman's body, along with the necklace."

"So, that's it?"

"Don't even think you're partaking in this!" Mr Andrew snapped. My lips pursed as I faced him.

"Shouldn't I decide that?"

"I am your parent."

"But you just said I should live my life. This is what I want to do, this is my decision."

"I didn't mean it in that context! And I am not going to watch you get killed!"

"Andrew! Zara!" Pastor Chris' shout snapped us both from our reverie, making my gaze to stray away from Mr Andrew's. Annoyance crackled within me at the fact that the very time I had decided that I would take a decision, he was against it.

But he has a point.

Go ahead, maybe then we would be rid of your existence.

I shook my head, not wanting to go back down that road.

"Look, Zara," Pastor Chris turned to me. "He is your father, he has every right to tell you what to and not to do. I understand you wanting to curb the threat but don't think that this will be a walk in the park. Your father's reasons are pure, remember that."

His words made the annoyance that had crackled within my belly to deflate, making me sag. I turned towards him as he was still standing by the chair that Pastor Chris was seated. I wrung my hands together. I took a moment to run my eyes over the concern that was written clearly on his face. The anger that had bubbled within my chest continuously had died down, now reduced to embers.

At least he cares.

I exhaled.

"I understand that you're only looking out for me and I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I just... want to not be on the fence for once. I can't sit back, of course Pastor Chris doesn't need me but I want to help too." I held Mr Andrew's gaze for a moment.

"I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through."

He was already shaking his head before I gave him a pleading look.

"Please, dad."

He drew in a breath before rubbing the bridge of his nostrils. After what felt like hours, he caved.

"Fine. But don't think I'm allowing you to go on your own."

I nodded and hesitantly, I made my way to him and hugged him. He stiffened at the contact but soon relaxed before shifting back to give me a warm smile.

"So what next?" My dad turned and directed the question to Pastor Chris.

"Thank God that has been settled! Anyway, first things first, the spirit in question is married to the girl, a spiritual husband per say. So the holy Spirit revealed to me that she had cursed the land and that had caused the spirit wrecking havoc across the territory."

"So, as I said earlier, the only way to break this curse is by burning her body."

Okay...

My body throbbed with a deep eagerness. The eagerness to end the tirade of deaths. The wanting to stop others from losing their loved ones like I had lost mine.

"But we can't do it now."

"Why not?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. My throat tightened as I thought of the people that were already been stalked by the spirit.

"You don't just go unprepared for situations like this."

"But more people could die. And besides, Jesus is on our side so nothing can stop us."

"Of course he is. I understand that but going into things like this recklessly would only result to death. " He said grimly and the seriousness in his voice made all the protest in my throat to die.

"We will fast and pray for two days, I would call my people back in Ekiti to intercede on our behalf. We will prevail by Gods grace and that evil force will fall, once and for all."

Chapter word count: 1351
Word count: 33185
I want to thank God for giving me the Grace to write this. One more chapter to go! Let's get to it then.