Ch.0: Off the Grid, Straight Back In

'Please don't be gone, please don't be gone.'

You were running across the city, trying your hardest to make it back to your base. You had finally made it, you saw the building destroyed. You jumped into the wreckage, dust had built up around you.

'Oh no...'

When the dust had settled, you saw all of the carnage. Bodies of the people who you were once called comrades. The bonds you built up for years, gone just like that.

???: "Joker..."

You turned suddenly, you saw a man wearing a monkey mask. You immediately rushed over. He was in a terrible state, his arm was missing and he had a big hole in his stomach. You took his hand.

Y/N: "Monk? What happened here?"

He coughs up blood.

Monk: "It was a trick, you were sent to a decoy base. The real plan was to hit us here..."

Y/N: "Monk..."

He takes off his mask.

Jin: "No, don't call me Monk... Call me Jin."

You take off your mask.

Y/N: "Hey Jin, I'm Y/N."

Jin: "Hah! You look really handsome, you know. A shame we had to cover ourselves up."

Y/N: "Not half bad yourself."

Jin: "I-I'm getting kind of tired, I think I might just take a nap for a little."

You sniffle, with tears in your eyes.

Y/N: "Don't go already, I just met you..."

Jin: "Just remember... After this, just get away... Leave this life behind, live like everyone else has..."

Y/N: "I promise Jin."

Jin: "Maybe you'll make it big, I hear you play sometimes."

You start full on bawling.

Y/N: "I will, in your memory."

Jin: "Attaboy... Live on for us will ya Y/N?"

With that, the light had died in his eyes. You knew the last man you could call a friend was gone forever. You felt hollow. You removed your hand from his, you felt some small stone thing in your hand. It was Yeoui, his prized possession.

Suddenly, you heard a whoosh from behind you.

???: "I see you've finally arrived, Joker... Too bad it was too late."

You turned around, an empty look drawn on your face.

Y/N: "Mandeok..."

Mandeok: "HAHAHA! THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE"

He licks his lips.

Mandeok: "IT FEELS SO GOOD. Now... Once I deal with you, the whole human race will be rebirthed!"

Then he teleports in front of you and grabs your neck.

Mandeok: "Goodbye Joker..."

He conjures a bunch of swords and stabs them into you. Then, he takes one of the swords and beheads you.

Mandeok: "Finally! My dream will become reality!"

Y/N: "Are you sure about that?"

He looks at your severed head.

Mandeok: "Huh? What the fuck?"

The pain of everything had dulled, it was nothing compared to the emotional toll of losing everything.