Chapter Fourteen

"Don't you ever sleep?" A husky voice grumbles

"Don't you ever sleep?" A husky voice grumbles. I turn away from the window and see Cain stalking towards me. His hair mussed from my fingers, his naked body shimmering in the moonlight. He yawns sleepily as he approaches.

I'm perched on the window seat, wrapped in a blanket, peering out on the river and forest below. An earlier storm has cleared, but everything sparkles as the faint light shimmers off the wet surface. My dreams are getting more erratic. The visions are more frequent. But they're just images, flashes of moments before their logic melts away into waking.

I think the goddess is trying to show me something. But what?

He strides over, and my heart speeds. My legs are still weak, and I'm deliciously sore in all the right places. His touch is an echo across my skin. Every tiny caress, every noise he made, every delicious throb of pleasure, is a memory I'm still basking in.

He scoops me up and I let out an embarrassingly girly yelp as he sinks into the window seat with me now perched on his lap. My back pressed against his chest as he leans back on the wall. He tugs me closer, and I giggle as I settle into his body.

"I know that expression now. You're thinking about what we did early. How many times did I make you come again?"

I laugh, my chuckle vibrating through his body. He huffs in pleasure.

"Oh, so modest."

"Nothing is better than making you come. Those little noises you make. Me inside you, feeling every moment of it. Nothing compares."

Heat creeps up my neck, but a smile cuts into my cheeks. He nuzzles my hair, and I sigh, leaning into him as I stare out at the world in peace. The creeping light of morning fraying the dark edges of night. I had spent every night here for over a week. My nights in his bed, his fingers and tongue finding new ways to draw moans from my lips. Or in the woods, Cain in his wolf skin hunting as I lingered behind him, my magic just as deadly as his claws and fangs.

"Did you have another nightmare?"

I freeze. I had never told Cain it was nightmares dragging me from a blissful slumber at his side, but it didn't surprise me. He had an uncanny ability to sense my moods. Maybe it was because he was a wolf. Or maybe it's because he's your mate. My magic and heart roars silently.

"You know about the nightmares..."

"I do. They're most nights now. What scares you, little witch? Tell me who I need to kill to make you feel safe." He's teasing, but I can hear the steel in his voice. He means every word.

My heart is racing. My lips part as I search for the words. To tell more lies. To tell truths I'm not even sure I even understand. When the truth finally spills from my tongue, it surprises no one more than me.

"Ever since my magic emerged, I've had these dreams... these visions. I'm not sure if they're just that... dreams, or..."

He brushes my hair away from my neck and peppers the skin with soft kisses.