𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮

Word count: 2,976.

(Not edited). 

This is my first time writing something that's not a oneShot so please excuse if it's terrible. ( my attention span makes it hard to stay focused, and not jump ahead of myself)

'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃'✦ˑ ִֶ ⇢ ˗ˏˋ 𝓡𝓮𝓭 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼 ࿐ྂ'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹'✦ˑ ִֶ 

Leaning against the balcony, high above the city of Moththorn, I am struck by its frozen beauty. The streets below stretch for hundreds of miles, each building and corner emitting a soft, ethereal glow in the darkness of nightfall. Despite the storm brewing above, the city remains untouched, as if protected by a veil of magic. My slender index finger traces along the rough stone siding of the balcony as I gaze towards the distant mountains. The purple lightning dances around them, caged and contained only to strike the mountain's peak. It's odd how such intense storms never touch our city within the golden walls; not a single bolt of lightning has ever touched its sacred grounds.

I've asked my mother, Queen Azola, about it but she skirts around the question, warning me sternly to keep it away from my father. "We could be cursed," I mumble to myself as I turn back towards my chambers. Suddenly, the wind picks up, whipping my hair and gown around me. My head snaps up and I hold my hair out of my face, looking towards the mountains. Don't ask me to explain it, but I know that mountain is somehow involved in everything.

That's when I see it - or at least, I think I do. Blinking rapidly, I try to convince myself that it's just my mind playing tricks on me. But no, as I squint my eyes, I can clearly make out a giant pair of red eyes on the side of the mountain. Like a giant bonfire amidst the darkness, casting an eerie light over the land.

Gasping in shock, my hands fall to my sides as I stare at those mysterious eyes. I've seen them before.

"What are you?" I whisper softly, wishing desperately that I could speak to whatever is behind them. Are these eyes the reason why lightning only strikes this mountain?

And just as quickly as they appeared, the eyes vanish like a fire doused with water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days have passed since I saw the eyes, keeping what I witnessed to myself as I don't trust anyone. Father would storm the mountain, waging war on whatever beast resides there- and I don't want that, I don't wish harm upon it.

I walk down the candle lit corridor towards the library-the restricted library. To search for answers, since no one else is eager to answer them.

My family is hiding something, and I refuse to be another clueless princess sitting atop her castle. My emerald green eyes hold a fierce determination, one which I'm sure mother would scold me for. 'princesses should look sweet, never fierce. Keep those eyes like a doe child, must I repeat myself'. I recall one of her many lectures and scoff to myself. A proper princess I will never be.

The air in the restricted library was thick with dust, making me sneeze the moment I stepped inside. I glanced around at the towering bookshelves filled with ancient tomes and scrolls, feeling a thrill of both excitement and trepidation. The answer to the mystery of the mountain must be hidden somewhere within these walls.

I approached a particularly weathered bookshelf, running my fingers along the spines of the books until I found one that seemed to call out to me. It was an old leather-bound volume with intricate golden lettering on the cover. As I opened it, the pages emitted a soft glow, illuminating the room in an otherworldly light. That's strange, all spell bound books should be in a case. My interest grows, eager for an unknown reason.