Ryan: New Games New Rules

Emma was right. It was indeed all over the news. There was no point in hiding it especially after the scenes she created in the house. I woke up to a loud scream from the kitchen, I went out to check who it was and I saw mom yelling at Jules. A plate was scattered on the floor and the maid was paralyzed with fear. “You sick girl. Don't you have any manners?” She said waving a spatula at her. Her apron was stained with what seemed like ketchup, her face was red with tears as mum pounded on her with words. “Mother please” I stopped her, taking the spatula from her and bringing Jules to my side.

“Ryan dear. She broke my precious plate, her dirty hands couldn't keep it in place” mum lamented. I turned to Jules who bent her head, “you need to be more careful next time with kitchen plates” I said to her, her eyes could sense the coldness that came with those words. As much as I wanted my child from her, I didn't want mum ranting and getting mad over her too. “But–the maid pushed me” she stuttered but the maid stopped her, “I did no such thing sir. Miss you came in my way” she interjected quickly. I didn't know what or who to believe but I knew something and that was mum didn't like Jules.

I sighed and walked out to the balcony, not wanting to hear anymore of their rants. Jules followed me outside, holding the broken plate in a tray. “I really was pushed by the maid,” she said again, her head still bent. “I was carrying the plate to grandfather's room and she stopped me. She said your mum asked her to do it instead of me” she added.
Her voice softened as she began to sob. I was getting irritated by that but I didn't want to show it.

“You can at least ask before doing things. It was that mum wanted the maid to do it herself”

“But grandfather said–”

“He's not your grandfather! You–” I thundered, putting a stop to her words, swallowing the remaining words down my throat. Jules stared at me like she was waiting for me to complete it but I didn't.
“Look, I'm off to work. Don't try to provoke my mother. You know why you're here” I stormed out without looking back. Jules would have sworn that she wasn't expecting any of that but half of my mission with her was complete.

Grandfather was quick enough to send my promotion letter to the company manager. My office was redesigned and ready for me to come in. After a quick meeting with the board, I signed papers and documents under my grandfather. Wilson was one of the first people to welcome me officially into the office, he was promoted to being my assistant manager. I was really glad that we'd be working side by side. I was at another meeting with the staff when grandfather walked in with El Faso Alonso.

“Ah…there he is,” his voice overshadowing mine. He walked towards me and gave me a side hug, making everyone murmur. He held onto me and whispered in my ears, “how dare you dismiss my daughter you punk” his grip on me tightened. I broke loose and glared at him, anger mixed with evil thoughts. I knew what it was for and I was ready for it. “We'll have this meeting later please” I said to the staff, dismissing them.

The moment the room got empty, El Faso Alonso shoved me to the wall and quickened his hold on my neck. “You little mannerless boy. You cut off your engagement with my daughter over a cheating issue!” he bellowed in between gritted teeth. Grandfather stood still at a corner and watched him. I pushed him away and maintained my stance, ready to fight him. “You knew your daughter had cheating issues yet you still wanted us to go on with the marriage” I said, cleaning off the traces of his fingerprints on my mouth.

“Emma is beautiful. Who could possibly say no to a beauty like her” a dirty grin sitting on his lips

“That's why you let her flirt around even while she's courting another man. Like father and daughter!” I spat out, feeling sick by his words.

“You piece of–”

“For your information Mr El Faso Alonso, this case has been made official, legally. So it's not just any case, it's already obvious that your daughter isn't who she claim to be” I took out my phone and showed him pictures of Emma's ugly truth. His eyes widened with surprise. He wasn't expecting me to have such evidence. “How are you sure of your pictures?” He asked, the angry look on his face turned to shame. I chuckled.

“I know my source. Now please, leave my company” I said, pointing to the open door. El Faso Alonso fumed in rage, “you will surely pay for this, I promise you” he swore and walked out, closing the door with a loud thud. My heart that had swollen with tension reduced instantly. Grandfather walked to my side, smiling and applauded me. “I knew you'd do good. My little soldier boy” he patted my shoulder and sat down.

Grandfather's countenance suddenly changed. There was a thick frown on his face. “What's wrong father?” I asked, pulling a seat close to him. He used a napkin to damp his sweaty forehead and his face. He held my hand to his chest, it was beating very fast. “Jesus…grandfather. Should I call the doctor?”

“The doctor can't save me from the trouble that is already here” he murmured, still holding my hand to his chest. Anxiety filled me up and my body was getting hot.
“What's wrong grandpa? You're getting me worried”

“Your father has returned” he announced.

My mind went blank instantly. I got dizzy, my body was getting limp and it felt like my heart was failing. I could see grandfather mouthing my name but I couldn't hear his voice. I closed my eyes, drifting into a world of temporary sleep. Flashbacks began to hit me like a grenade, exploding right before my eyes. “Your father has returned” those words kept ringing in my ears until I couldn't hear anything anymore.