53 | Jisoo

I walk into the kitchen to find Irene sitting by the breakfast bar, dark circles marring her beautiful face

I walk into the kitchen to find Irene sitting by the breakfast bar, dark circles marring her beautiful face. She looks up at me, her eyes filled with defeat. She knows. There's no doubt in my mind that Taehyung confronted her about what she did five years ago.

She huffs and looks away as she picks up her teacup, her hands trembling. I wish I had the energy to keep up the facade, but I don't. After what Taehyung told me last night, I can barely stand to look at her. How am I supposed to allow her into my life, knowing how much she took from me?

"Why did you do it?" I ask, unable to keep the question buried.

She looks up at me and grits her teeth. "Do what?"

"That night... why did you sneak into Taehyung's room? Why did you pretend it was you he slept with?"

She looks away and shakes her head, avoiding my gaze. I've never seen her at a loss for words, but she is today. It's clear that she thought she got away with her deception. Just how long has she been manipulating me?

"For once in your life, be honest with me. Why would you do that to me? To Taehyung?"

She raises her head and sighs, resignation written all over her face. "Because I wanted him," she says simply, a hint of anger in her eyes. "I wanted him to look at me the way he always looked at you. I wanted the prestige of being a Kim."

She crosses her arms. "When did you figure it out?"

She's so blasé about it that I struggle to push aside my fury. If she wasn't pregnant, I'd have poured her tea all over her head before asking our guards to throw her out.

"Not until last night," I admit.

She nods, her jaws locked. "That explains why Taehyung asked me to leave this morning. He could barely stand to look at me, because of you. If his grandmother hadn't stepped in, he'd have forcibly thrown me out." She smiles at me then. "You almost got what you wanted. Almost."

I should've known Taehyung wouldn't simply let this slip. I don't want to either, but what can I do? I can't risk harming the baby, and Taehyung shouldn't either. I stare at my sister, the distance between us never greater. She feels like a stranger to me. Did I ever really know her at all?

"You put me through years of torment and heartbreak, yet you sit here without an ounce of remorse. I'm your sister, Irene. How could you do this to me?"

She laughs, the sound hollow. "You wouldn't even exist if not for me. Mom and Dad only had you because we needed you for the stem cell transplant. You literally only exist to aid my life. Even our parents didn't want you, Jisoo. Can't you see?" She frowns, as though her words make perfect sense. "I'm the daughter they love most, the partner that's the best fit for Taehyung, the person that's best suited to be a Kim. It just made sense. It wasn't personal."

I bite down on my lip for a moment in an effort to squash the nausea her words make me feel.

"You're the most entitled narcissist I've ever met, and it pains me that we're related. I can't do this, Irene. I'm done tolerating you. I don't want you in my life. The moment you have your child, we're done. I vow to love your child like they're my own, but you're dead to me. I wish I had the courage to cut you out of my life sooner. I wish I'd recognized your selfishness for the narcissistic behavior it is. For years, I made excuses for you, telling myself and everyone around me that you were only that way because you understandably wanted to live your life to the fullest. I'm done. I'm done with you, Irene."