<001>

Brynn pov

The sun began to hide behind the rolling hills. Rays of oranges and reds filled the sky. I loved sights like these. They reminded me of my mom. She passed away when I was only 9 years old. Heart cancer is a bitch when it wants to be.

*Flashback*
"Mr. Stone, I'm sorry to say that she only has 24 hours." The old doctor says with the clipboard in his hand. Glaring at the floor, I clench my fists.

"No! She can't die! She's only 30! I love her! We need her!" Father yells at the doctor. Tears run down his cheeks as he puts his hands in his hair.

"I'm sorry-"

"No! No you're not!" Dad growls out opening the door to Mom's room and slamming it shot and locking it.

"Daddy." I say quietly. He looks over to me and then kneels in front of me taking my hands in his.

"She's not going to die. She's going to live. She's going to drive you to school. She's going to see you graduate high school and college." All the lies that came from him seemed to break him down more. "She's going..."

"Dad." I say grabbing his face with my small hands. Tears stain our cheeks and make our eyes red and puffy. "It's okay." He just shakes his head.

"No no no--"

"Dad. She's going to be gone. We can't use this time to deny what's going to happen. We have to accept it." I say looking into his lost eyes. Nodding he stands pulling me up with him and wrapping his arms around me.

"I love you Mercury." He says kissing my forehead. Smiling weakly I tighten my arms around him.

"I love you too Dad."

End Flashback

I'm 15 years old now, and my birthday just happened a few days ago. It's not big in my house, because my father doesn't even remember it's my birthday. He's too busy with intoxicating his mind with drugs and alcohol. Ever since my mom passed away, his addiction got worse. It didn't get too bad until I was eleven. At eleven I learned how to drive, because I had to pick my dad up from the bar. I had to make three meals a day. I had to juggle school too. I became the parent and my parent became the child. That's not how it should happen, but it did.

So here I am, parked at a quiet place with nothing but nature and myself. It's a way for me to get away without getting away. But moments like these can only last so long, because my phone is ringing. Sighing, I pulled it from my back pocket to see Ted's called ID flash across the screen. Great. I clicked the green button and put it up to my ear.

"Hey Ted, what's up?" I asked already knowing what was up. Ted is the owner and bartender at my dad's favorite bar.

"Your dad is here, Brynn." I sighed and ran a hand through my short hair. "He's already drunk and he walked in. I think you should come pick him up." I sucked on my teeth and looked down at my dirty converse.

"I'll be there in ten, just give him water and say it's vodka." I said and hung up the phone. I walked around to the drivers side, but before I could get in a bark sounded behind me. My head whipped around and I saw a large husky. It was absolutely breathtaking, especially its crystal ice blue eyes.

I turned my whole body and squatted down. He walked over and nuzzled my hand. My heart melted and I ran my hands through it's fur.

"Aren't you beautiful?" I smiled but he growled a bit. "Oh excuse me, aren't you handsome?" I laughed and kissed his head. I really want to take him home, but we can't afford a pet. "See ya' buddy." I gave him one last scratch on the head and I settled into the car. He stayed outside watching me as I turned the engine over. As I drive away, he watched me and the image of him stayed in my mind the whole way to the bar.