12

How Paul had the capacity to ruin moments like this was astounding. One would think he'd have just the slightest bit of tact, but no. I sit up immediately, "seriously?"

"What?" He sits up after me with both of his knees in front of his chest, "you said you'd tell me."

I scoff, "you are serious."

He rest his hands on his knees leaning forward a bit, "I need to know," he says firmly yet soft as if he was trying not to push me away.

"I get that you think that but why ruin the moment," I sigh as I look down and mutter, "I was having fun."

He smiles slightly, "I was too... but your safety is important to me and when I talked to you after you got back home from the cullen's something was off, I want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine... like I said I went over and apologized that's it," I mirrored his posture but instead hugged my knees.

He stares a me for a bit, "promise?"

I clench my jaw and look away from him, "that's not fair."

He furrowed his brow, "what did they do?" His breath came out a bit jagged and his eyes darkened. As if I said the wrong thing he'd personally see to it that the Cullens end up headless and burned.

"Nothing... they did nothing Paul," I bury my head in my knees.

His hand gently reached for my shoulder and his thumb rubbed soft circles into my arm, "then why don't you look at me went you answer?"

I look at him and our eyes met. The intensity in his eyes made me squirm. I looked away again, "Alice is going to take me dress shopping tomorrow for Bella's wedding," I blurt out an irrelevant truth to make him stop staring.

He grimaced at my declaration, "the pixie leech?"

I frown, "don't call her that... but yeah."

He clicked his tongue but other than that he had no other reaction to me defending her, "okay... but you wouldn't try to hide that from me so something else must have happened, right?"

I stay silent. I mean it wasn't exactly surprising finding out that death was a possibility, it's always a possibility when hanging around or doing dangerous things. Right? it just... freaked me out a bit that I might die. Who wouldn't be worried about dying because some powerful ancient vampire kings said so? it's not like it's my fault that I found out about vampires... would it be Paul's or the packs? It's not like they would actively try to put me in Danger. Carlisle even said that it was probably unintentional that they doomed me to a painful death via vampire. Though, telling Paul that, might cause problems. He'd probably feel guilty and start blaming himself like he did before. Besides it's not like it changes anything. I already know and I'm already in danger. I-

"-Ess. Tess!" I look up from my downward spiral and Paul has both of his hands on my shoulders, his eyes filled with concern before they hardened and he growled out, "what did they do?"

"They just told me the truth Paul...," I took a deep breath and frowned.

"Which is?" He furrowed his brows.

I found that thinking about dying was much easier then voicing it out loud. I hardly wanted to admit to myself that these could be my last moments on this planet. my voice shook as I whispered, "I could die."

His body tensed with hostility, "they Threatened you?!" He jumped out of his sitting but I grabbed him.

"No! They just told me that... it's against their laws for me to know about them... and that I could die because of it."