The Wrath of Kalmaar

Nya's head ached, but slowly her vision returned and she came too. She raised her hand to try and brush the hair that had fallen in her face only to find her wrists cuffed. Her aching back was against a pillar that seemed to be made of blue-tempered sea glass.

She saw out of the corner of her eyes her mother who was also cuffed, they were chained to each other. Maya was slumped forward still unresponsive. She gasped and cried out, "Mom? Mom, are you okay?" He tugged with her one wrist in an attempt to get her mother to respond.

The sudden movement seemed to be enough to rouse Maya enough for her to, wearily raise her head and stammer out still disoriented, "What happened? Where are we?"

Nya looked around taking in what seemed to be an empty hallway with many more pillars like the one they were chained to, "The Temple of Wojira,"

"Wojira? Wojira's a myth about a giant sea serpent,"

"It's not a myth. On our last adventure, we found proof. We found an ancient amulet on an island. The Storm Amulet. It belonged to Wojira. It was being protected by the Keepers of the—" Nya gasped stopping as she was startled, by the very person who had trapped them. He came crawling into view. His tentacles instead of feet crept along the ground.

"Go on, pray tell. About these "Keepers", about the Storm Amulet. I am Prince Kalmaar, son of Trimaar, heir to the throne of Merlopia, rightful ruler of the Endless Sea, and I assure you, not someone to be trifled with," Kalmaar said with a sneer his voice was smug but there was a clear underline threatening tone to it. His bright green eyes were sharp and cruel, with piercing yellow irises, narrowed and bore into Nya as he leaned forward toward her to intimidate her. Nya's met his harsh glare with one of her own, unflinching.

"Well, it's nice to meet you!" Maya said cheerfully, turning to look over her shoulder.

"Don't be nice to him, Mom! He's the one who blasted us in the back!"

"I'm sure that was just a tiny misunderstanding. We are trespassing in his temple,"

"Mom! He's evil!"

"Nya! He can hear you!"

"Silence! Both of you!" Kalmaar roared glaring at the two women. He then returned to his full height and said more calmly, "Tell me the location of this island, and I will spare your lives,"

"What island?" Nya replied her expression looked impassive and uninterested.

"The Island of the Keepers!"

"Keepers of what?"

Kalmaar's farce of patience faded and he started yelling, "The Storm Amulet! T-The amulet you were just—" He stopped when he noticed Nya smiling smugly. He took a sharp breath and sighed, regaining his composer, "Ha! I will ask one last time. Where is the island?"

"Save your breath, Calamari. I'm not telling you anything,"

"That's Kalmaar," He snarled and pointed his trident at them threateningly, it started to charge up, and Nya braced herself as she continued to glare at him, Just before he fired one of his servents showed up and startled him, which caused the prince to jerk his aim upward and the blast slammed up toward the top of the pillar, Nya, and Maya were chained around. Causing rubble to rain down around them they both ducked their heads and braced themselves.

"My prince! Forgive me, my lord. Did I startle you?" The servant stammered

"Of course not," Kalmaar said dismissively waving his hand, and then adding in a more annoyed tone, "What do you want, Gripe?"

"The King requests your presence in the palace. At once!" Gripe responded

"Oh, saved by my meddling father. I look forward to continuing our discussion when I return," Kalmaar sneered turning to both Maya and Nya. Nya shook head knocking a piece of rubble that had fallen in her hair and on top of her head. She scowled at him as he started to leave, she exchanged looks with her mother and once again tugged at the chains, which seemed to be made of a strange stretchy blue material.